Chapter 48- Defeating Truths

One Week Later 

Elsa decided she needed a change in scenery. After coming home from work, she got a call and was surprised how easily she agreed with Rapunzel when she invited Elsa to hang with her and their friends. She has been a bit stressed lately with Aidan and work, sometimes barely having enough time to cook dinner, clean the apartment, and pick up Aidan from school, although, Jack does his best to help take him to school and pick him up.

At the end of their conversation, they settled for a local restaurant settled in the heart of town.

As Elsa steps into the restaurant, her senses pick up the atmosphere of lively chatter, small golden lights twinkling above her as she assess her surroundings and quickly spots a mop of fiery red hair. She passes through the scattered wooden tables until she reaches the booth.

Jack is already standing and places a loving kiss to her cheek. She kisses him back and settles herself across Merida, Hiccup, and Rapunzel who give them cheeky grins.

"Okay, stop staring," Jack mutters as he picks up his menu and hands it to Elsa.

"Anyway," Rapunzel says, turning at Elsa, "Since we're all here and our parents are at work, who is watching my precious nephew."

Elsa laughs, "Anna. Her classes end early and she doesn't have work today. Lucky for me."

Hiccup leans forward, his arms braced on the table. He looks like he was about to ask them something when their waitress stops by.

She silently refills their cups of water, her blue eyes rake over them as she asks, "A few more minutes?"

It was Hiccup who answers, his voice sounding breathy, "S-Sure. If you don't mind. We know how busy you are. We...um...should be ready in a few minutes. Just like you said."

She gives him a strange look, and in a flat voice, she says, "I'll be back in a few minutes," and she saunters off to her others tables, her blonde braid shining in the light.

 Her name tag read Astrid.

When she leaves, the group starts to quietly laugh.

Merida spoke first.

 "That's why you chose this restaurant!"

Hiccup looks at them guilty.

"Leave him alone, Merida. I thinks it's sweet our Hiccup has a crush," Rapunzel coos, rubbing his arm in comfort.

"Well, if it's any consolation, Hiccup," Elsa shrugs, "I think she likes you."

He perks up and pushes, "How?"

"It's just a feeling."

Without another word, he looks back at Astrid leaning against a wall, her eyes roaming over the restaurant, assessing if her customers need anything, Elsa notices from her peripheral vision that she locks eyes with Hiccup. He quickly looks away.

But she could have sworn she saw the ghost of a smile on Astrid's face.

***

After they all received their meals, everyone was quiet for the first minute as they all savored the deliciousness of their juicy burgers, steaming pasta, steak, and fries.

There was a ring that indicated the arrival of a text. As one, they all checked their phones until Rapunzel raises her hand, "It's mine."

She quickly types something and puts it away. 

"It was Eugene," she offers as explanation.

"What did he need?"

Rapunzel takes another bite of her food, getting sauce on her chin. Elsa taps her own chin and Rapunzel quickly wipes it off with her napkin.