Chapter 39- Advice

I was packing Aidan's red backpack with his clothes when Hiccup knocks and pokes his head inside my room.

"Elsa's here."

"Got it, thanks, Hiccup."

I finish zipping up the backpack when Aidan comes into my room. He plops on the floor and opens one the drawers and scrambles for something.

"Son, what are you doing? Your mom's here, let's go," I rush and proceed to help him put on his backpack.

Aidan ignores me and starts to open all the drawers. "Dad, I can't find my gameboy," he complains, making a mess by throwing all the items in the drawer aside.

I roll my eyes and pick him up mid-search and place him on the bed.

"Hey!" Aidan whines.

"You're making a mess. We don't have time to look for your toy. This is why I told you to make sure you have everything packed last night."

He looks at me with his round eyes and scowls. I pinch his nose.

He waves me off. "Quit it!" he chides.

I laugh at him and gesture him to get up and go out the door.

"I don't want to go."

I smile sadly at him and put my hand on his small shoulder. "You'll be here again next week."

"I know," he says, "but mom has been acting weird."

Alarms go off and my body tenses. "Weird? What do you mean?"

Aidan hops off the bed and opens the closet door to get his sweater.

Sometimes, I marvel at his movements. For someone so young he can be independent. Not to mention how smart he is.

As he puts on his sweater, he tells me, "Mom has been acting strange ever since we visited grandma and grandpa. She daydreams a lot and sometimes mumbles to herself. It sounds like she is preparing a speech or something."

"But she's okay? She isn't hurting or anything," I ask in concern.

"Nope. Just acting strange." He adjusts his backpack and runs out the room, leaving me to ponder.

Acting strange how?

I shake out of my daze and walk to the livingroom where Hiccup engages in conversation with Elsa. When she sees me she waves, giving me a charming smile.

I carefully look at her to see if anything is amiss. She seems okay.

"Mom!" Aidan exclaims and hugs her legs. She lets out a beautiful laugh and bends down to hug him.

"I missed you. Did you behave?" And she looks at Hiccup and I to confirm an answer.

"Always a blast to have him around," Hiccup interjects, holding a fist for Aidan to bump, "isn't that right, buddy?"

"Right," Aidan grins, bumping his fist.

Hiccup straightens up and excuses himself. "I have to get to work. I'll see you later, Jack." He nods his head in Elsa's direction and smiles, "Always a pleasure, Elsa."

She returns his smile as he leaves out the front door.

I catch myself from staring too long in her direction. It still amazes me at seeing her smile so openly and with ease.

I put my hands in my pockets. "So how've you been?"

It's not a strange question. I always ask her this when she comes to pick Aidan up or when I go to her place.