A Story To Tell Pt.1

Start from the beginning

Tears poured down the side of his face, a part of him didn't want to be saved. Deep down he wanted it all to end, his life had been nothing but sorrow. Caleb was the only light he had ever had in his life. "Why did you save?"

"You're just a child. I did what anyone with a heart would have done. I saw the Sheriff leave you out there. I tried to find you Charles, but you ran away so fast...I'm sorry I didn't get to you sooner."

Though he tried to fight it, his eye lids became heavy, sleep called to him and he had no choice but to succumb to the sedative.

Some time in the middle of the night Charlie had woken up in the back of Marian's car, but still couldn't keep his eyes open. The meds still hadn't worn off and his body was exhausted.

He woke up once more to her carrying him into her home. The next time he woke up the sun was up, and the smell of eggs and bacon were in the air.

The next time he woke up the sun was up, and the smell of eggs and bacon were in the air

He lay in a bed that was not his own, a child's bedroom. Yet everything felt outdated. The teddy bear sitting on a shelf looked old and worn. The blankets that covered him we're faded and well slept in.

"Oh good. You're finally awake." Marian said standing in the door way, nervously. Slowly she stepped inside the room.

Charlie tried to rise out of bed, but the pain in his shoulder and chest made him freeze in place and wince, the wolf in his head growling as the pain struck his body.

"Ssshh don't move. Let me take a look at your wounds."

"No." Charlie said afraid as the memory of what happened to him came rushing back. His large doe eyes stared at her as if he were trying to decide whether or not she was friend or foe.

She held up her hands to let him him know she came in peace. "Alright. I'll give you some time. I made you some breakfast if you're hungry."

"Starving...Where am I?"

"My home." She said with a polite smile.
The house was in a secluded part of the woods, over a mile away from the closest neighbor and only a mile from the Lake. It was a three story country style home that was well worth more than half a  million dollars, including the several acres of property.

"I know. Who's room is this? I didn't know you had a son."

She looked around the room at the soft blue walls, boys toys that were placed in hampers and atop of shelves. "This use to be my son's room. He died a long time ago. When he was only 11."

"Oh. What happened to him?"

"He drowned in the very Creek I saved you from." That was all she said and the look on her face made it clear she didn't exactly want to go into any further detail.

"You don't have any other kids?"

"No. I almost died giving birth to Peter. I...I couldn't have anymore children after him." The sadness in her eyes told him that this was a very touchy subject.

"Oh." He stared down at his hands feeling terrible for asking, "I'm sorry."

"It's quite alright."

"Miss Marian?"

"Yes."

"Do you know what I am?...a monster, I mean."

She stared at him sternly, "You are not and have never been a monster. You are a child, born more special than others. You are a beautiful misunderstood creature; nothing more."

He wanted to believe her but after years of hearing the exact opposite he couldn't swallow her words. "I could hurt you." He said with shame in his eyes.

"But you won't."

"How do you know?"

"Because I know you won't. Young man, you will behave as a gentleman in my home. Isn't that right." She said her tone very aristocratic and high class.

"Um...yes?"

"Then act as one. Control that temper of yours and we will get along just fine."

"My mother...she-"

She put up her hand to stop him from speaking, "We aren't going to speak about her right now. All I want to focus on is you getting better. Alright?"

"Yes Ma'am."

"See there's that gentleman I was talking about." She smiled. "Let me get some breakfast for you.

She left the room and quickly returned with a serving tray, a plate filled with bacon, ham, and eggs. Toast, Orange juice and a small clear cup with two pills inside.

Charlie picked up the pills staring down at them, his eyes watering, "I said I would be a gentleman, you don't have to drug me. I don't want to go back to sleep."

"Excuse me? Their antibiotics, for your wounds. Why would I put you to sleep?” She asked realizing this boy had been so abused, he thought she might drug him.