A Story To Tell Pt.1

15 years ago...

"Thank god, Charlie. I found you." Marian said, the cold river water dripping down her face along with tears.

Looking up at her completely confused he blinked slowly. "Miss Marian?..." The weak boy whispered as he struggled to keep his eyes open. Blood slowly trickling from his ribs and back.

"I'm going to get you some help okay. Don't move."

Marian placed the boy down on the shoreline and ran as quickly as fast as her body would allow to her late husbands Jeep. Without care she drove over the brushes and rocks, off roading it to the riverbank.
She came to an abrupt stop as she got as close as she could to young Charlie.

Jumping out of the Jeep she ran to his side. The Marian grabbed the boy under his arms and pulled him to the vehicle. Though he was only 7 years old he felt like he weighed a ton.

She laid him down in the back seat and got behind the wheel, "Brace yourself, it might get a little bumpy Charles."

Marian drove over the fallen logs and bushes in her way, through the rocky path heading towards the Jeep trail, the car rocking and swaying violently.
Once she hit the Jeep trail she floored it towards her neighbor a few miles away.

Knock

Knock. Knock. Knock. Marian banged hard on the door until Dr. Rhodes finally answered.

"Mrs. Martin, what a surprise." He smiled  throwing a dish towel over his shoulder. His eyes spotted the blood stains across her pink buttoned shirt. "Goodness are you alright? What's happened?"

*  *  *

Charlie's skinny body laid on the Doctors kitchen island

Charlie's skinny body laid on the Doctors kitchen island. He watched the doctor work cautiously, spraying and  cleaning out the small bullet hole. "The stuff part is still ahead Charles, the bullet is lodged in the bone. I'll have to get it out. I'll give you something for the pain."

    Marian had a tight grip on the Charlie's hand, "Rhodes, you can't tell anyone about this. Not one soul."

    Pushing the syringe of antibiotics into his veins the doctor replied, "You know I don't involve myself in the business of the wolves. I heal, end of sentence. I don't pry, I don't kick the hornets nest. That was the deal I made with DelRoy and that is the deal I plan to keep." The doctor said calmly as if he had heard this all before. His patients had asked him to keep many secrets, on more than one occasion.

Charlie remembered his mother telling him how careful she had been not to let anyone know what he really was. Being a Werewolf had to be a secret, no one could find out or else many could be in danger. His mother's words replayed in his mind, yet Marian and Dr. Rhodes acted as if it was nothing.

Dr.Rhodes knowing as much as he did already made the boy anxious. Marian tried to keep him as calm as possible, her thumb stroking the back of his hand.

"Why...why did you save me?" The boy asked in a haze, the sedative already beginning to kick in.

"Ssshh rest."