39

The beast's head lifts into the sky and he lets out a furious roar that stretches my ear drums to the max. His wings splash up water as he spreads them out over the lands and brings them down, pushing the air under us and pulling his legs from the lake of fire that burns out once his foot leaves the waves.

We are plunged into the air with the mighty wings of a city-sized monster pulling us towards the clouds. He roars again, tasting the air of the world he hasn't known for over sixty-five years.

Legolas is secure to the left of me with a hand at my waist for my benefit I suppose, because I am not as balanced as elves...

Smaug lifts higher and higher until we reach the low clouds, lighting cracking in the sky to the left of us about a mile away, sending the thunder mixed with the sound of the dragon's wings into an earthquake in the sky.

We soar over Middle Earth faster than I could ever imagine.

And soon we see men, elves, and dwarves gathered on the plains of Rhovanion; four armies ready to taste orc blood.

As we get closer I can imagine them terrified, but I can't tell from this height. Smaug circles around them and faces north. I wave my hand across the sky to open the portal, a wormhole in space creating an illusion of another world; one that is reachable.

It stretches out so wide it looks like a backdrop. From here we can see the tower of Sauron and his army that take residence in the city of ash.

The red glow from the setting sun leaves a sinister feel on the black and grey clouds as we gaze in front. But no more hesitation. I'm finishing this.

I lean forward to let Smaug bring his wings in as we charge for the portal, the dragon calling out in a roar of terror as we fly over our army.

Then soldiers of Rohan, Gondor, Rivendell, Lothlórien, Mirkwood, Rhûn, and Erebor collide from where they stand, and follow me, into the darkness to spread the fires of white into the heart of Morgoth.

Battle cries even more fearsome than the ones that rang in our ears at the Battle of the Black Gate roar through the wind of the hills of Middle Earth and into a city of Earth.

The orcs below are caught in an unexpected attack from us and are run down by the seven armies have become one.

I can hear the ground shake with their footsteps like thunder in the sky.

When my focus returns to ahead of me I realize Smaug is headed straight for the huge tower that is small in diameter compared to him.

The dragon roars and speeds to structure like a raging fire in the wind.

I clutch onto his horn as he charges straight forward then hold my breath as Smaug roars into the air furiously and misses the tower by a hair from his head, letting his wing smash into it like it was a house of cards, shattering the skyscraper to huge pieces that blow into the air and fall on the orcs beneath.

My head was down but I lift it to see the orcs emerging from the buildings and from the streets and colliding with our army of silver, brown, and gold.

Legolas has taken the sniper rifle from his back and is taking out the orcs firing arrows from the roof tops. He hits every shot beautifully.

I look across the ash wrecked city and the destruction that left it unrecognizable... until I see a statue near the water's edge; a statue that has seen better days and even has the torch broken off. This was New York City.

The dragon banks around as our eyes gaze upon the battle field and once we pass over a tall building my elf leaps off to set up sniping there. I steer Smaug around to the bottom and slide off his wing when I see Thranduil firing at orcs and goblins.