6

The next day I skip breakfast. I don't feel like eating.

But at lunch time I finish up what I had left in my satchel. I wear the most comfortable and casual dress I could find that is a reddish brown one with sleeves that hug my arms and loop around my middle finger.

The elven maid delivered my cleaned clothes this morning with undergarments that I didn't sleep in last night. I suppose she gathered it this morning while I was sleeping. I slept in late today, the rest of my journey layering in the much needed slumber cocooned in silky fabric.

Last night I finished crying for Ry... all the tears I could produce... to the point where I was so useless I eventually fell asleep.

I feel better today... maybe even move-on better. The way I see it is the way I have learned to greave over the years. Things happen that I can't stop. But that doesn't mean I should waste my life and live in the darkness because of it.

I could swallow myself with the pain of Ryohnin, like I could with my family, but what good does that do? They are looking over me right now. And I will show them what I can do with my life to make them proud.

Legolas is right. Ry wouldn't have saved my life so that I could drown in sorrow forever. He would want me to live again.

Ryohnin gave his life to save me and my world, and I am going to return the favor.

After spending the morning alone in my chamber distracting myself with a few books I grabbed from the library that is a shelf in the room, I feel like I should get out after lunch.

I pull the top of my hair back into two braids that meet at the back of my head and leave my chamber. I don't make eye contact with any other elves as I walk down the stone steps against the chasm wall.

I look around me at the structure carved out of the mountain. It's bigger than I ever thought a cave could be. But I suppose I haven't seen many caves—at least ones that are bright enough to tell how large it is.

There isn't much noise in here. I mean I do hear people talking but besides that it still feels surreal. Either way, I show that I am mortal by the way I walk through the caverns, being graceful for my people but probably too mundane for these angelic robots.

I pass the throne room, looking at the lonely chair to see the king not in it.

I think nothing more but continue through the hallway—my head hits flesh and a hard body and I stumble back, realizing how fast I had been walking. I widen my eyes at King Thranduil who stands there before me. What have I just done?

"Oh, my lord I am so sorry. Please forgive me," I beg shamefully.

"Save your breath, my lady. It was merely an accident," he says dryly with a plain expression.

I want to just tell him everything right there and apologize more times than my mouth would be able to speak... but I just look up at him like a guilty puppy, looking so disappointed in myself for everything I have caused and staying here... and then running into him like that. What could be worse?

"I..." I start, almost wanting to crawl into a ball with shame and sadness. But I have to keep myself together. I remember what I told myself. Wallowing in pity will not make anyone including myself feel better. "I'm sorry about everything, your grace..." I mutter to him.

He stares at me and then understands what I am referring to. "...All things happen for reasons that we may not know of. Even the darkest of events has a glorious purpose, Lady Vilora," he speaks quietly and more gently than before, but his voice is still hard and not surrendered completely. "It is not by our doing that bad things happen. But destiny is something we cannot steer..."