18

Something cold touches my neck in the morning that wakes me up. "Get up!" I hear a voice say and I open my eyes to see the tip of a sword at my throat.

I frown and move away from it, standing to my feet.

I look upon the person who holds the blade and he is about my age, perhaps a bit older, with long brown hair pulled back behind his head and a thin mustache and a bit of hair at the tip of his chin. He wears sailor's clothes and the sword he holds is a cutlass.

My eyes flash to my right as I see Legolas holding out his bow with an arrow ready to fire in our defense. Others are around us with their swords as well and one man with a short bow. 

"Who are you?" the man in front of me asks.

I lift my chin. "You first."

"Pirates, are you not?" Legolas asks.

The man looks insulted but does not look at the elf. "Legal travelers. But thank you for your concern."

My eyes look over his shoulders to see remains of a ship in the waters and one lifeboat on the shores.

"We are the same," I say with a glare. "And you would not be wise to torment us... or would you wish to be at the mercy of the Archer Legolas of the Woodland Realm."

He frowns and looks at my companion. "Legolas... Prince of Mirkwood?" he asks in surprise.

"He has diplomatic immunity which means he can kill you without consequence, traveler," I finish.

He retreats his blade from my throat. "Put down your weapons," he says.

His men, maybe six of them at the most, put away their swords.

Legolas lowers his bow slowly.

"I have not seen the royal family of the Woodland Realm all the way in Rhûn, Legolas, son of Thranduil," the man says approaching him. "Why are you here?"

"Our business is our own," he responds.

I look around the area and then my voice comes to a whisper, "Where's Morier?" I ask Legolas and he gives me a look that says he does not know.

I turn to the man. "What happened to your ship?"

He eyes me. "We were attacked by bandits; pirates early this morning on the waters. These are all of my men left," he looks down.

"What is your name, traveler?" Legolas asks.

"Bard II."

"I have not seen you, Bard... but there is something in your eyes that seems familiar..."

"Ah well there should be. It is true you have not met me, my lord. But you met my great grandfather."

"...Your great grandfather was Bard the Bowman," Legolas mumbles.

I don't know at first of whom he speaks of but then it comes to me. I remember when Legolas told me about the attack of Smaug the Terrible. And the war at the end of the Second Age. His great grandfather had killed the might dragon and saved Laketown.

"You're from Laketown. What are you doing here in Rhûn?" I ask.

He eyes me. "Actually I am from Dale. But after I was convicted of crimes that I did not commit I was sent into exile... So I came out here."

"What crimes did you not commit?"

He gives me a stern look, not wanting to answer my prying question. "It looks like you two are stranded as well. I do not see a ship around."