1

(Hey guys sorry if this story's writing is a little outdated. I did it about 7 years ago. I considered taking it down until I re-edit most of it. But I figured if people were still enjoying it I'd leave it up. However I want to make improvements on this story in the future since it's my favorite one I've done, concept wise.)

Reality is a strange thing. We think it's one thing, but only a small turn of events and it will become another. In a world of darkness I grew up thinking that hope wasn't in the future, but in reality. But since things change, where is hope? Where is the task at hand? My world was taken from me. The demons that took it we thought we could fight... but after thirty years they began to overrun us. Why? Because there were too many of them. They kept coming, spawning... taking us. Nothing was strong enough... that is until we decided to launch a nuclear strike. First one on the U.S... But luckily I was born in Wales. We watched as an entire continent was destroyed in the year 3801. And it didn't stop the creatures... Nothing did... they ate our existence.

A flashback of my childhood skips through my head... running, training... meeting the mysterious Ry with a light step and a wise personality. I remember looking into his eyes and seeing thousands of years... like he was an old man in a young man's body. I remember my parents, playing outside in the sand on the beach... that was until it was time to move again. Our world faded away... and so did my life.

I wake up screaming, hearing the calls of my mother, father, friends... all who had died. Each memory played in my head of their deaths like a nightmare. I clutch my head and feel my eyelids burn with light. Then I notice something... am I dead? I must be.

I allow my eyes to finally open and I blink a few times, cringing from the light in them. My hands feel grass... my fingers grip the bright green earth. This... doesn't make sense. Where am I? Maybe this is where my father mentioned I would go after death.

I lie there for a second... only feeling empty. What is happening? What happened? Is this heaven? It cannot be... can it? This is how I imagined it... like the fairy tales and stories in books of green and clear skies of blue... the smell of fresh grass against my worn nose and the sound of birds in the trees.

Maybe I am... maybe I am not... I don't feel as happy as I would if I was really in heaven... I feel... torn... broken... because of my friend I just lost. I had traveled with Ry through earth over adventures after my parents were gone. We became like brother and sister. I never had a blood sibling...

I shut my eyes and breathe.

When I push myself up off the ground I wince. Looking down at my palm I see the rune that Ry had on his own hand burned into my very skin. That's when I notice my fingers shake. How long had I been asleep? Passed out? Dead? I do not know. But my stomach feels so hungry that it no longer wishes for food. That's not good. How long have I been lying here? Wherever "here" is...

I look around me... I am in a somewhat clearing. I see trees around me, and a cool breeze blows my hair back. I had it already fixed in two braids that meet at the back of my head, letting the rest of it flow down onto my shoulders. My grey t-shirt is torn and my black trousers dirty with mud... my boots are worn. I had taken them from the body of another woman just months ago. They too, are black. My olive green jacket is the only thing in good condition really.

I lie down and shut my eyes, okay to just die here... my best friend is gone... he's really gone...

I want to stay there without hope and wallow in sadness... but eventually I decide to get up. Ry's last words echo in my head. He wants me to find his father. He gave me a mission.

I pull myself to my feet, my head spinning... Where...? Am I dreaming?

I feel the soft ground under my shoes and the wind in my hair... I can't be dreaming.