34

I head down to the largest home in the area, on my left with my companions close behind. The place is silent... I do not think there are any orcs nearby as they are loud and clumsy. Or at least I hope.

All that can be heard is the sound of feet crunching loose rubble on the ground as we near the front door of the square home, the windows all tinted black to block any view from the outside.

"Is this where you live?" Éowyn asks slowly.

"Nope... I don't know who used to live here but it doesn't matter now," I reply as I stop when my foot hits something.

I bend down to observe the tiny golden necklace covered in ash at the toe of my sandal. I pick it up carefully with my fingers and clean off the face of the pendant. It's a locket, quite vintage. I haven't seen these in all my life, just read about them. A precious thing this must have been which means that the people leaving here did so in a hurry. Black residue on the chain catches my eye and I look closer.

"Legolas what do you make of this?" I ask as Aragorn walks to the door of the house.

He approaches me and holds the chain carefully in his fingers, bringing it to his nose for a quick sniff. "Orc blood," he confirms. Which means I was right.

"That's what I feared. Any sign that they are nearby at all, ranger?" I ask Aragorn.

"No... the air is too calm. I do not sense any within miles..." he responds and then tries to open the door, failing. "Locked," he breathes. He pulls out his dagger to perhaps loosen it but I sigh and push past Éowyn to get to him.

"Move over," I say and he obeys.

I press my hand to the door over the handle to reveal the lock and alarm options. I know that the door wouldn't open because we don't have the required fingerprints for it.

But I hack my way in like Ry taught me how to do years ago by means of the password which is the second option for entering.

I can see the curiosity on Aragorn's face as I do this. Must seem like some kind of sorcery to him.

I clutch the metal handle and lock my elbows, the door opening with little ease. I go ahead and walk into the dark home. It's cleaner than I expected. But abandoned.

The place has no dust... but cob webs line the corners of some small areas. The place had been kept sealed from things all this time so spiders and perhaps some other insects were all that could enter. But it's nicer than my home was.

"This house looks expensive for our economy," I say as we all walk in. Though it is pitch black... I walk to the wall and press my hand to panel. Nothing happens so I suppose the power lines are down. Doesn't surprise me.

I look under that where most homes keep emergency light and open the small door. I stick my hand into the darkness, feeling spider web wrapped rods of rubber and yank. There are only three of them. I toss one to Legolas and the other to Aragorn. "Torches," I say and flick mine on.

I let the beam of light shine on the floor around and already the place is bright enough to see. A game console lies by the television strip on the wall. The coffee table holds a plate of moldy bread that looks like it had been there for years.

A few toys lie on the ground around the couch...

Another light coming on gets my attention and I look to see Aragorn with his flashlight and looking at the home with curiosity.

My eyes flash to my elf who observes his confusingly but then before I can say anything he flicks the switch and lets the light blast in his face, pulling it back immediately and blinking a few times.