37

We head northeast like before, taking the same main road for hours. For that time we only see trees... we don't even see remains of cars or other things... until we do here and there...

We drive for hours... and I nibble on a bite of Lembas when the sun is at its peak. More time passes...

But once the trees part I see buildings ahead. Steel structures there still... but in the distance... the very very far distance I can see a concrete skyscraper collapse into the land beneath, hardly making a sound because of how much space there is between us and it.

For a while we drive towards the city, larger buildings coming into view; buildings that are still a light blue because of how far away they are, but large nonetheless.

I can tell we are getting to bigger areas and cities the farther we travel. I wonder if perhaps this is some sort of capitol.

Large structures made of cement approach us as we drive, crumbling windows and weathering supports making a collage of abandoned sorrow everywhere we gaze.

I can see grass and other plants trying desperately to reach the sun from under the concrete but failing, still cracked the foundation to where the roads and buildings show black lightning bolts on the grey surface.

Foggy glass allows nothing to see inside of the once filled homes and businesses. And when I focus my eyes on the windshield I notice tiny pieces of ash hit against the glass.

"Vilora," Legolas's voice cuts my daydreams.

"What?" I ask, my head turning to see his frown as he stares out the window.

"Orcs."

I adjust my posture and look where he is, my expression matching his. There on the rooftop in the distance is an orc archer. I also hadn't noticed that both our vehicles have stopped. My eyes dart around the area and immediately I see another black dot moving farther away.

I breathe and try to think.

"Vilora, can you hear me?" Thranduil's voice asks in my ear.

I press my finger to the button. "Aye. What's up?"

"Could you be more clear?"

"Sorry. I meant 'what do you need?'."

"Aragorn says we shouldn't get caught."

"Negative..." I sigh. "I think we should drive straight through. Cause as much gunfire and kill as many as necessary. Orcs are cowards. As soon as they figure out they are being slaughtered they'll retreat. And that means they'll be leading us closer to Sauron."

"If we are noticed then the dark lord will send more after us. We will surely be killed."

"It's the only way, Thranduil."

"Have you considered all of the options?"

I bite my lip and look to Legolas who returns my expression.

"Yes," I finally respond. "Get prepared for anything. The windows should deflect arrows but if you need to roll them down... uhh if you need to... well press the button below it if you want to fire out the window. It takes away the glass."

I pick up my pistol and cock it, handing my husband another, the rifle here between us.

"You ready?" I look up at him.

He breathes and then nods.

"Go."

He faces forward and steps on the gas, the car lunging forward and sending us down the street.