Chapter 47

Annabeth

Something was wrong. Keto and Phorcys were gone, but Annabeth knew something was wrong. Her stomach was twisted in knots for no apparent reason and her heart was pounding, because something was wrong. She didn't know what or where or why. Annabeth just knew it involved Percy.

It was that same sinking feeling she'd had when she left him under Mount St. Helens and he went missing for two weeks. The same panicky feeling she'd had when she woke up nearly two years ago and found out he was missing again. The same heart-wrenching feeling she'd had when they fell into Tartarus. The same feeling of finality she'd had when he told her the prophecy.

Something had happened to Percy.

Annabeth knew she was a fool to really believe the prophecy was about anyone other than Percy. It was just wishful thinking to hope that it regarded some other son of Poseidon. Chrysaor's involvement was just a coincidence, he was just doing his duty to his family and seeking revenge in the process. Annabeth had tried to convince herself otherwise, but she'd always known the truth. She'd known that when they cut down Chrysaor, it wasn't truly the end.

Annabeth disposed of the Laistrygonian she was fighting with extreme prejudice. Her hair obstructed her face as she madly searched the battlefield for Percy, and she cursed herself for forgetting to tie it back before the fight. She spotted Tony, Rhodey, Sam, and Vision flying above the battle. Bursts of light illuminated Carol, Wanda, and Calypso's position. Steve and Bucky were tag-teaming an enormous Cyclops. Daisy was blasting monsters out of her way as she stalked through the streets, Elena as her honor guard. Daredevil and Jessica were still fighting together. Nico and Hazel had joined forces to summon a few more skeleton warriors. Festus was circling the battle, one wing damaged but still keeping him aloft. Clarisse was thrashing every monster in her path. Annabeth couldn't see Piper, Leo, Reyna, Thalia, Natasha, or Clint, but she couldn't afford to worry about them. There was no sign of Percy.

And then she saw Grover struggling through monsters towards one of the skyscrapers next to the Empire State Building. She didn't have time to wonder why he'd left the infirmary, instead heading towards him without hesitation. Grover would know what had happened. He had to know.

Annabeth groaned in frustration as she was constantly attacked by monsters. It took her much longer than she would have liked to get to Grover and help him finish off the telekhines hounding him. When she did, she wasted no time in grabbing his arms and shouting, "Where's Percy?"

Grover's eyes were filled with tears as he simply shook his head and nodded towards the foot of the building they'd finally reached. Annabeth was shaking as she looked. Her eyes fell upon the body and her heart stopped.

Percy lay unmoving in front of the building, his body contorted unnaturally. Riptide sat limply in his open hand. A thin line of blood trickled down his forehead, more staining the pavement. His eyes were closed.

Annabeth screamed and ran forwards, nearly hysterical with fear. She was only a few feet away from him when suddenly a figure appeared in her path, stopping her short.

The woman laughed tauntingly, gazing down at Percy. Her forked tongue slipped between her slimy lips. She smiled at Annabeth, making her even more queasy than before.

"Echidna," Annabeth growled.

Echidna grinned wider. "He has finally fallen. Just as I foresaw. And so will you and the rest of your petty army."

Annabeth dropped her drakon bone sword, instead readying her bronze dagger. She could fight very well with the sword, but the knife was still her favorite and most deadly weapon. Since acquiring the sword and replacing the dagger, she'd reserved the shorter blade for the worst of the worst. Echidna qualified.

Echidna opened her mouth to speak again, but Annabeth didn't let her. All she saw was red as she charged forward, moving with such speed and strength that Echidna was caught by surprise and seethed in pain when Annabeth's first strike opened a line of ichor down her arm. The immortal backhanded Annabeth, sending her stumbling back. Echidna hissed at Annabeth and snapped her fingers.

Suddenly, nearby monsters abandoned their fights and zeroed in on Annabeth. She hacked through each one and continued towards Echidna, but the Mother of all Monsters just kept snapping her fingers and summoning more disposable shields.

Annabeth found Grover at her side. He had taken up Annabeth's sword, dealing twice the damage with the blade in one hand and his reed pipes in the other. Monsters kept tripping over rocks that appeared in their path or were swallowed up by roots. Those that got too close were sliced to bits by Annabeth and Grover. She saw in his eyes the same determination she was sure was in hers. Determination to destroy Echidna.

She knew what Echidna was doing. She was drawing them away from Percy, lowering his chances of survival. Annabeth wasn't sure exactly what had happened to him, but it seemed like he'd fallen from a great height. If he was still alive, the sooner they got to him, the more likely it would be that he'd pull through. But Echidna was leading them away from him, keeping them focused on her and her army instead of him.

Annabeth glanced back at Percy worriedly. He still hadn't moved. His face seemed pale. When another monster attacked Annabeth, she just had time to notice something jump off of the roof of the building before she was forced to look away. Annabeth demolished the Cyclops and pressed on.

Echidna had done all of this. She was the one who consulted the Fates and brought together her parents and HYDRA. She was the one who'd started this war and pulled Percy and Annabeth into another fight. And if Percy . . .

No, I won't think like that, Annabeth swore. He's still alive.

Annabeth knew he was still alive. He had to be. Besides, he had an empathy link with Grover. Grover would know if Percy was dead, he would feel it—or it might kill him too. But he was still fighting strong next to Annabeth, so Percy was alive. Annabeth didn't know how much longer that would be true.

If anything happened to him, Echidna was to blame. And Annabeth would make her pay.