Chapter 44

Tony

Something had happened, Tony could tell. One minute, the fight was just regular monsters and mortals. The next, there was a scuffle over at one end of the battle and suddenly an immortal was popping up all over the place.

They moved so fast that Tony couldn't tell whether it was Echidna, Phorcys, or Keto. He just knew it was one of them because some powerful being was appearing everywhere and blasting their allies apart. Whoever it was, they were clearly angry—which Tony was thankful for. The immortal's rage kept their attacks from being truly devastating. The demigods and Avengers were definitely banged up and in pain each time one was thrown to the ground or into a wall, but the immortal was too consumed with anger to focus enough and kill someone. The immortal was even hurting some of their own allies. Still, the sooner they were taken care of, the better. Eventually, the immortal would gain control of their emotions and start dealing worse blows. Tony had already seen too many bodies on the ground.

"Keto is no longer in play," Steve reported through the comms.

Tony grinned. One less immortal to worry about. He vaguely wondered how they'd done it, but then something else occurred to him. If she was gone . . . Tony had a pretty good guess who the furious immortal was.

Tony was on the ground helping one of the demigods he thought was named Lavinia when Phorcys appeared in front of him, proving that his guess was correct. For some reason, the god was still wearing a wetsuit, which really didn't match the fury on his face. Tony fought back the urge to laugh, instead pointing his palms at Phorcys and firing repulsor blasts at him.

Somehow, he dodged each one, and faster than Tony could react, several dozen gallons of water appeared floating in the air and surrounded Tony. He took off, trying to fly out of his personal water bubble, but the water followed him. Phorcys grinned up at him, waiting for the malfunction he obviously thought was coming. Tony smirked underneath his helmet. Little did Phorcys know that Tony's suit was completely waterproof, and functioned as well underwater as it did in the air.

Tony shot a rocket towards Phorcys, and the smug look on his face disappeared as he ducked. The rocket missed him, but hit the ground behind him and exploded, sending Phorcys sprawling. The water dropped, freeing Tony, and he zoomed to the ground to attack Phorcys again.

One second he was there, the next—gone. Tony's fist punched into the ground after Phorcys vanished into thin air. Tony cursed and instructed F.R.I.D.A.Y. to scan the battle for any sign of him.

"Heads up, everyone. Phorcys is here and he's taken a page out of Banner's book," Tony said, rising above the battle to search for Phorcys or anyone else that needed help.

"There's another Hulk?" Elena exclaimed.

Tony rolled his eyes, not that anyone could see him. "He's pissed."

From that point on, Tony almost wished he hadn't engaged Phorcys. The encounter seemed to have focused him, and his attacks became more brutal. Demigods and mortals were now being knocked unconscious with each blow from him, and those that weren't protected by friends in time were severely injured, if not killed. Blasts of blinding light exploded every few seconds wherever Phorcys appeared. Tony was madly trying to keep up, but each time he got close, Phorcys just disappeared and materialized somewhere else.

Tony landed in the last spot he'd seen Phorcys, helping up a demigod whose name he remembered was Lou Ellen. She thanked him before generating sparks from her hands and launching back into the fight. Tony was about to take off when something big hit him from behind and he crashed to the ground.

Tony rolled and was back on his feet quickly, facing the giant Laistrygonian that had attacked him. He blasted him with his repulsors, but like usual, they only slowed the giant down. Tony frantically searched the ground for a Celestial bronze or Imperial gold weapon but found none.

He ducked as the Laistrygonian swung at him, emerging behind the monster and punching the back of his knees to force him down. Tony pummeled the creature's head, trying to at least knock him out. He finally did so and was trying to figure out a way to finish the Laistrygonian off when a Huntress emerged from the flailing mass of bodies and ran past Tony, stabbing the Laistrygonian as she did. It dissolved into dust and Tony looked for his next opponent, preferably a nice HYDRA agent whose ass he could kick.

Next to him, Daisy blasted two soldiers back and Tony was about to finish them when something caught his eye. There were two things flying over the battle that definitely weren't Rhodey, Sam, Vision, Carol, or Festus. They looked mostly like women, except for the wings sprouting from their backs, the ugly tusked faces with beady red eyes, and the wriggling masses of snakes for hair.

"Medusa isn't a thing, right?" Tony asked whoever was listening.

"She's very real," came Annabeth's answer with a grunt. "But we've already taken care of her and her head. She won't be petrifying anyone else today."

"Okay, so why are there two other ladies that look exactly like her?" Tony watched the ladies coming closer, starting to worry.

Percy cursed, or at least Tony thought that was what he did since it was in Ancient Greek. "The Gorgons, her sisters. Stheno and Euryale. They can't turn people to stone like her, but they're still dangerous. Watch out for those talons."

The Gorgons seemed to have noticed Tony and were closing in on him. He readied his repulsors, hoping this time they'd actually hurt the monsters, or at least injure them enough for a demigod to finish them off. Instead, Daisy stepped up next to him and said, "I got this."

She closed her eyes as the Gorgons approached, making Tony a little tense. What was she going to do, stand there and let them attack her? But then something happened that Tony couldn't explain.

Slowly, still flying towards them, the Gorgons started disintegrating. It was like nothing Tony had ever seen. No one had attacked them as far as he could tell, but they were flaking off into nothing. The two of them wailed in unison, lunging for Tony and Daisy, but they dissolved into harmless dust before reaching them.

Daisy opened her eyes, grinning at Tony. "I've been practicing that one."

Tony simply stared at her. He'd heard urban legends of Quake a bit before meeting her, but she really was nothing like he'd expected. For one, she was so much more powerful than he'd imagined. Tony approved.

"Impressive," Tony finally said, before launching into the sky to continue searching for Phorcys.