Chapter 37

Percy

Percy immediately activated his shield and uncapped Riptide. Before the first monsters had even hit the ground, he was launching himself at them. Behind him, his friends did the same. There were more monsters than he'd expected—telekhines, dracaenae, empousai, Laistrygonians, Cyclopes, even some hellhounds. Mixed in among the hundreds of monsters were men and women in black HYDRA uniforms, and Percy made sure to steer clear of them. He wanted to make Echidna and her whole army pay for attacking his family, but regrettably, he didn't have as much faith in his hand-to-hand combat skills as Annabeth, and Riptide would be useless against the mortals. While he waited for Echidna, Phorcys, and Keto to show their ugly faces again, he would settle for killing as many monsters as he could get his hands on. He would postpone his fate for as long as possible. Percy wouldn't allow himself to die until after he'd taken care of Echidna, Phorcys, and Keto, and he would make sure their army couldn't hurt anyone else in the process.

While Percy sliced through monster after monster, voices sounded through the earpieces Tony had given everyone.

"The lobby is empty. FitzSimmons, Solace, Underwood, Keener, go. Chiron, Coulson, and I are headed to the observation deck," Fury's voice sounded in Percy's head, as clear as if he were standing right next to him.

"On it, sir," Simmons responded.

Percy was right in front of the Empire State Building. In the corner of his eye, he saw FitzSimmons, Will, Grover, Harley, Clovis, a few capable Aphrodite campers, and Hill grouped together and trying to make their way through the fighting. They were each clutching supplies in one hand and a weapon in the other, fending off various attacks. At the rate they were going, they would never reach the Empire State Building before being overwhelmed.

Summoning his father's power, Percy concentrated on creating a mini-hurricane. Each time he did it, it became easier to create and control. The storm formed in seconds, lifting his feet a few inches off the ground and carrying him wherever he willed it. He blasted a path through the monsters and soldiers, disintegrating some of the creatures and knocking soldiers off of their feet.

"Go!" he shouted at Will and the others.

They didn't stop to talk and rushed through the mob of monsters, nodding at Percy gratefully. He fought off a few attackers until the last of them had disappeared into the Empire State Building, and then he was back in the thick of the action.

With his ADHD, Percy was able to survey the battlefield even as he fought hordes of monsters. For the most part, the battle was going well so far. Percy didn't think any of them had expected such a large number of adversaries, but they were fighting hard. Percy was pleased to see how well everyone was working together.

Thalia had perched on top of an abandoned car firing arrows in rapid succession a few buildings down from the Empire State Building. If a cluster of monsters came too close to her, she raised a hand to the heavens and called down a bolt of lightning to tear them apart. Just in front of her on the street stood Carol Danvers, otherwise known as Captain Marvel. She was blasting monsters and HYDRA agents left and right with her powers, attacking others with vicious kicks and punches when they got too close. A few times she tossed monsters up into the air where Thalia made quick work of them with her arrows.

A few feet away from Percy, he spotted Annabeth and a sigh of relief escaped him. She was a ferocious opponent to any monster or soldier that approached her. Percy was glad her extra training with Natasha had paid off. Every so often, she vanished underneath her Yankees cap and took out unsuspecting monsters before reappearing. Next to her, Steve fought multiple soldiers at once. The few monsters that attacked him he pushed out of the way with a hard shield toss, some of them flying right into Annabeth's waiting sword. A few times, seemingly without communicating, Steve braced his shield on his arm and Annabeth jumped off of it to attack from the air.