Chapter 36

Tony

It was a strange feeling entering Manhattan and hearing nothing. Normally, it was abuzz with life and sound 24/7, with bright lights, honking cars, and screaming people. As they flew through the city, the vans navigating the streets beneath them, there was nothing. Every building and car was dark, no one was on the streets, and an ominous fog had rolled in. Their vehicles were the only ones working, a stark contrast against the motionless city.

Tony glanced at Percy and Annabeth behind him. Annabeth seemed determined and ready to fight, while Percy looked downright murderous. Tony almost envied whoever had taken his step-father for the beating they were surely about to receive. He was glad Percy was on his side. Tony had never really seen him fight with all of his power at once, but he didn't think that Percy would be a good enemy to have.

F.R.I.D.A.Y. alerted Tony that they were approaching the Empire State Building. The Quinjet was on autopilot so he was mostly sitting in the pilot's seat for show, and he leaned forward in anticipation as they began to descend.

The three Quinjets landed in the middle of the street a few blocks away from the Empire State Building, but it was well within sight. There were eight people standing just in front of it, but Tony couldn't tell who they were from this distance. The vans pulled up behind the jets and everyone emptied into the street where they all looked to Fury, Steve, and Percy for instruction.

Percy only had eyes for the people in front of the Empire State Building, however, and began stalking towards them. Annabeth and Peter followed. Tony stayed long enough to hear Fury order a few groups to go through the surrounding buildings and evacuate them before he and Steve joined Percy, Annabeth, and Peter.

As they got closer, Tony was able to study the figures outside the Empire State Building. He didn't recognize the three in the middle, but they matched the descriptions Percy had given them of Echidna, Phorcys, and Keto. Echidna was dressed in a tight black combat uniform that did nothing for her large figure, and her thin eyes glared at Percy as he approached. Keto had frizzy black hair and large glasses but looked powerful enough in an elaborate Ancient Greek-style sea green gown with matching knives. Phorcys wore a black wetsuit that contrasted his green skin and clouded blue eyes, and his minimal hair was disgustingly greasy. For some reason, his arms were outstretched on either side of him like he was holding an invisible plate in each hand.

Two men in black uniforms stood on either side of the three immortals and Tony didn't need the HYDRA logo to tell him who they were. To the right of the five of them were the remaining three people: two more HYDRA agents and Percy's step-father, Paul Blofis.

Tony recognized Paul from their brief meeting, but he did not look good. One eye was blackened and almost swollen shut and his lip was bleeding. The HYDRA men held him in place with a hand on each of his arms, but Tony got the feeling they were also keeping him on his feet.

At the sight of him, Tony could almost feel Percy's rage double. It was only Annabeth and Peter grabbing his arms that kept him from launching himself at the enemy. As he fought to break free, Echidna laughed mockingly.

"Percy, get out of here!" Paul choked out. "This is what they want, go!"

A tiny voice in Tony's head wanted Percy to listen to his step-father. Echidna strongly believed the fight today would end in her favor, so why should they play into her hands and indulge her? But Tony knew Percy would never see reason while someone he cared for was in danger. And Echidna knew that too. She had Percy in the palm of her hand.

"Not a chance," Percy huffed. "Not until I get you back to my mom in one piece."

"My proposal is simple, Perseus Jackson," Echidna bellowed. "Give yourself up and we will spare your step-father. The fate of your friends will be determined by them and their decision on whether or not to fight."

"If you think we're going to stand back and let you take over and spread your fear, think again," Steve said.

"Besides, you die for coming after my family," Percy said.

Before anyone had a chance to react to Percy's statement, he thrust out a hand and the two soldiers holding his step-father flew backward and crashed into the wall, crumbling into unconsciousness. Annabeth's head snapped towards Percy and she looked fearful of him like he'd done something she'd seen before and didn't approve of. Paul didn't waste any time and limped over to their side before the others could stop him, where Percy and Annabeth grabbed him and made sure he was okay.

For a second, Tony didn't understand what had happened. But then he remembered that the human body was 60% water, and Percy had almost limitless control over the substance. The puzzle pieces fell into place. For a scary moment, Tony saw Percy in a new light and an unsettling question floated through his mind: What could Percy do if he ever turned evil?

"Rhodey, get him out of here and back to Sally." Annabeth directed her words behind them.

Tony turned. Most of their army was waiting behind them, watching the confrontation. A few Hunters along with Elena, Hill, and Mack were missing. Tony guessed they were helping evacuate the surrounding buildings. Rhodey came forward and supported Paul and the two of them made their way back to the Quinjets and out of harm's way.

Facing the enemy in front of the Empire State Building again, Tony was pleased to see Echidna, Phorcys, and Keto fuming. Echidna's forked tongue kept poking out of her mouth and she was glaring at Percy with such rage Tony wouldn't have been surprised if lasers shot from her eyes. Could immortals do that? He wondered.

"You have no leverage, Echidna!" Percy yelled. "Give up now and maybe I won't kill you. Maybe I'll just set you up with eternal punishment."

"Never!" Phorcys hissed. "You and your demigod kind took everything from us, Percy Jackson. Now we will take everything from you."

"You may have noticed the city's quiet," Keto said. "Our new friends from HYDRA have some fun little toys, it's a shame we didn't take advantage of them sooner."

"You mean the toys they stole from me," Tony pointed out.

"You made a mistake allying with HYDRA," Steve said. "By bringing them into this, you brought us into this. We will never stop until we take down HYDRA, and that includes you."

"What is that phrase they're so fond of? 'Cut off one head, two more shall take its place.'" Echidna sneered. "An apt saying. Even if you do kill us, we will come back stronger than before."

"Lady, I've defeated gods and Titans much stronger than you," Percy said. "Kronos and Gaea? They're gone. They're never coming back. This is your last chance to escape their fate."

In response, Echidna simply grinned and exchanged a look with her parents. The three of them vanished into thin air, leaving Tony stunned. "They actually decided to give up?" He frowned.

"No," Annabeth said with finality.

Then Tony felt it. The rumbling of the ground as if something big was approaching. He searched the streets for the cause, but there was nothing to be seen. Suddenly, the surrounding buildings burst with action, the windows exploding outwards and raining down glass, soldiers, and monsters on their army.

The fight had begun.