Chapter 9

Percy

Percy really could not catch a break. A few days ago he was attacked and pulled off a bridge by a random mortal, then he had a lovely demigod dream, and now he was facing one of his least favorite monsters, someone he'd hoped never to see again. But if the Minotaur had regenerated in time to fight Percy during Kronos' invasion, it wasn't that surprising that Medusa was already back.

Percy would have loved to say he charged Medusa and killed her before she had the chance to attack, but the truth was, he was frozen with indecision. His eyes were closed and fixed on the ground and he held Riptide in front of him, but how was he supposed to fight if he couldn't see? They had no reflective surfaces nearby, and Medusa wasn't close enough to the fountain for him to see her in the water.

"Perseus Jackson," Medusa growled. Her voice sounded exactly as he remembered it—exotic and unpleasant. "Annabeth Chase. And Grover Underwood. It's been a long time."

"Not long enough," Grover muttered.

Medusa was still about ten feet in front of them, and didn't seem to be in a hurry to come closer. Percy took a moment to listen and observe his surroundings. Annabeth's breathing came from Percy's left, and he could hear her adjusting her grip on her drakon bone sword. Grover's hooves clopped against the pavement to Percy's right, his fingers brushing across his reed pipes. Besides the trickling of the fountain and the hissing of Medusa's head of snakes, Percy couldn't hear anything else.

Good. He thought. That means there aren't any mortals around.

"What do you want, Medusa? Come for another haircut?" Percy retorted. Quieter, he whispered, "Annabeth? Got a plan?"

"I'm working on it," she whispered back as Medusa sneered, "You will not find me so easy to defeat this time. I returned from Tartarus a year ago, but I have bided my time to seek my revenge. I have watched you. I know your strengths, your weaknesses. I know about your family. Your mother, your step-father . . . your sister, Estelle."

With a yell, Percy charged. As he did, he realized 1) that was a stupid move, 2) he had no way of looking at Medusa without actually looking at her, and 3) he didn't even know if Medusa was still in front of him. But as soon as she said his little sister's name, all rational thought left his brain. No one threatened his baby sister.

Percy swung Riptide blindly, but as suspected, his sword only met empty air. Medusa chuckled beside him, and suddenly his sword arm was pinned against his body and Medusa's long, sharp talons were at his throat. Warm blood rolled down from the cuts they opened. The reptilian smell was stronger now and made Percy want to retch, but he held his ground. He cringed as Medusa's snakes poked at his face, trying to make him open his eyes, but he kept them firmly closed.

"Percy?" Annabeth called, and Percy winced. She and Grover probably had no idea of the predicament he'd gotten himself into.

"Unfortunately, I've been ordered not to kill you." Medusa sighed. "Otherwise I'd rip your throat open and carve out your beautiful green eyes, your father's eyes."

Now Percy really wanted to throw up. Apparently, Medusa was still sweet on Poseidon after all these years.

"But I have been given permission to turn you into stone. I'll take good care of you," Medusa purred as Percy's heart beat faster. "The process isn't always fatal, you know, especially with friends like mine. They want you to see what they have planned, safely in captivity. Your Athena-spawn of a girlfriend, however, she is mine to do with as I please. But you, Perseus, I will keep you safe. If you would just open those lovely eyes . . ."