Chapter 57: A Round of Beer

A week ago, Blackstone Tower was bustling with activity. Now, the silence was almost painful for Custodia. Sitting amidst the dimly lit ruins, she found herself longing for her compatriots once more. Cannis with his youthful fire. Tranquillis with his old warrior's wisdom. Aeturnus talking like a bored stone. Nido bless her, she even found herself missing Mendax's sly wit. Of all people.

But they were gone now. Slain at the hands of the Vangen. And now only she remained. She and that horrid monster Tyrannus. He sat across the table from her, eyes flitting over a grubby map. He placed one finger over his mouth, the rest teasing at his salt and pepper beard. His mouth worked silently beneath them.

Tyrannus had been that way ever since their return to Blackstone. After he'd gone into a rage back at Gate Secondus, Custodia had wondered if the Minister would ever return to normal. That trick with the ballista bolt and the magician. Dux had thoroughly outdone himself this time.

But now, as they both sat there, Custodia wished more than ever that Tyrannus would say something, anything, to halt the gnawing silence surrounding them. She'd figured it out early that the moment he went silent was when he'd reached his breaking point. While calm on the surface, the magick coursing within him was a wild and volatile miasma, pressing against her so firmly that it made breathing a chore.

"How many men are left at our disposal?" Tyrannus finally spoke. His gaze never left the map.

Custodia closed her eyes and reached out to brush the minds of the rebels. After ten or so minutes, she returned. "Around eight thousand. As far as I can tell." She added.

"Hmm," Tyrannus ran a thumb and forefinger over his beard, growing quiet once more. The minutes ticked away in silence before he spoke again. "We can't afford another setback."

"I know," Custodia said.

Tyrannus looked up from the map. "Do you, though?"

Custodia leveled her gaze. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Don't act stupid. It doesn't suit you." Tyrannus said. "I know you spoke to Dux last night." Custodia tried her best to hide her surprise, but that only made Tyrannus smile like a cat having cornered a mouse. "What were you two talking about, eh? Trying to rekindle the old flame again?"

"I asked for his surrender." Custodia spat out between clenched teeth.

Tyrannus gave a cruel laugh. "You asked? How polite of you. Good to see that manners are still an option to have when trying to topple a tyrant."

Custodia felt her hand itching for her sword. All she had to do was draw it and take Tyrannus' head in one fell swoop. The shadow in her heart said otherwise, though. It wasn't time. Not until victory was assured. She let her hand drop. "I thought reminding him of what we used to have would convince him otherwise, but he's still as stubborn as ever."

"Dag has always been a man of duty," Tyrannus said. "You were a fool to think otherwise."

Custodia felt the heat creeping up her neck again, but all she said was, "Yes, I was."

"Hmmph," Tyrannus turned his attention back to the map. "The Emperor does not accept disloyalty. If you even think about sabotaging this rebellion in any way, he will know. And you will find him to be most unforgiving. As am I."

"I do believe I know that more than anyone here," Custodia said.

Tyrannus opened his mouth to speak before the door to the tower flew open, and a man dressed in elegant livery and lamellar came barreling in.

"What is the meaning of this?" Tyrannus said. The man bowed, one hand to his heart while the other clutched at his high-domed hat.

"My apologies, sir, but I have important news for the lady."