Chapter 55: A Traitor's Trial

They dragged Lord Hallan to the throne room, in proper chains, the Captain following close behind with Libro at his tail. Past the heavy wooden double doors, The familiar twinge of deja vu nibbled at Libro's thoughts. The same pale sunlight peaked in from the crystalline windows. The same banners hung overhead. The same braziers burned close by, and yet the chill inside felt impossibly more real than what he had experienced in the dream. It was almost suffocating.

Even with so many people occupying the place at once, it did little for the chilling bite in the air. Vangen soldiers gathered to the left of the throne room, Hallan's men to the right. All together, shivering in their boots. As Libro drew closer, he realized the shivering had little to do with the temperature and more to do with the presence before them.

The Empress sat unmoving on her throne, save for her amber eyes watching the crowd. Every glance was met with a flinch, a step back, a murmur of contention. Libro could see Dux's jaw beginning to clench tighter and tighter as they moved closer until the muscles in his jaw began to feather.

And it was at this moment that the silence was finally broken as Lord Hallan began to scream. "You can't do this!" The man writhed uselessly in his chains against the vice-like grip of the Centums. "I am the Forge Lord of this godforsaken city! I own these very chains! I will not stand for this!"

No one made a sound. Lord Hallan's men were deathly still, eyes looking away or at the ground. Lord Hallan continued to scream obscenities until he was unceremoniously dumped before the throne. The Centums stepped back to the Vangen. Only Libro and the Captain remained.

"Lord Hallan." The Empress's voice cracked like thunder. Libro froze at the sound of it, his blood turning to ice in his veins. Slowly the Lord rose to his feet, quiet as a church mouse this time. For a while, nothing was said between them until the Lord dared to speak first.

"Your Majesty. This is a mistake." Hallan began to say.

"Is it?" The Empress' dug her fingers into the throne, her hands deathly pale compared to the dark stone onyx. She tilted her head, and a single braid of silver hair tumbled past her face. With a forced delicacy, she crooned it back into place.

Lord Hallan swallowed. "It is. I am innocent of whatever charges these brutes have laid against me."

"Brutes?" The Empress asked.

"These...Vangen." Lord Hallan said.

"My Vangen," The Empress corrected him.

"Lord Hallan shrank into himself. "Your Vangen, your Majesty."

"And just what are these charges?" The Empress directed her question to the Captain.

Dux cleared his throat and stepped forward. "We charge Lord Hallan with the act of treason against the crown."

"Oh, my," The Empress lifted her hand to rest it on her chin, just under the mask. "Quite the accusation indeed."

"Completely baseless," Lord Hallan spat. That pompous fire of his was finally starting to rekindle within him. He stood up straighter, bearing his familiar arrogant sneer. Even before the Empress, he thought himself better. Libro felt only pity for the man. "Let us not forget your Majesty that it was both Lady Kent and me who defended you from the rebels first. Before the Vangen ever could." Lord Hallan looked over at Dux. "Which reminds me, Captain. Where were you when the rebels began their attack?"

"Orienta," Dux said.

"Funny how you and your men were conveniently missing when the rebels launched their attack." Lord Hallan's sneer deepened over his withered cheekbones.