The Princess Bride ~ Rosie

Westley stood in the kitchen with Buttercup kneaded a loaf of bread. 

"Westley," she said, stopping what she was doing abruptly, "I have something important to tell you."

Westley turned to look at her, concerned. "What is it, Buttercup? What's wrong?"

She smiled up at him and said softly, "I'm pregnant, Wesley."  He blinked rapidly a few times, then returned the smile and pulled her into a hug.  "Oh, Waverly will be so happy," he said.  Waverly was their oldest daughter.  She was as beautiful as Buttercup and as sweet as Westley. Everyone loved her and no one hated her. Now she would have a sister. "I'm so happy."

• • •

Buttercup sat in the rickety, old rocking chair in front of the fireplace, looking down lovingly upon little Rosie.  She had curly, red hair, chubby cheeks, and forget-me-not blue eyes that lit up when she laughed.  Westley was out buying food, and Waverly was out with her friend Andrew, probably riding to put flowers on Fezzik's grave. Buttercup would have gone too, but she had to stay with Rosie. The little baby giggled happily as Buttercup poked her nose. "I love you, my little flower," she whispered softly.

• • •

Rosie, now a beautiful young woman, was riding her horse home through the city. Suddnely, a pigeon flew right past her head.  She screamed, alarming her horse and causing him to buck. Right then and there, she would have fallen to the ground to be stepped on by the frightened animal, but was caught by a young man.

He set her down carefully, turning to get her horse, grabbing him by the reins to prevent him from running away or hurting anyone. After the horse was under control, he looked at Rosie and offered her his hand.

"Are you all right?" asked the handsome stranger, his chocolateb-rown eyes filled with concern.

"Um, yeah," she responded, brushing one of her auburn cruls behind her ear. 

"My name is Philip," said the stranger, grinning. "Rosie," she replied.  "Well, you take care of yourself, okay Rosie?"

Rosie breathed, "Okay." Philip helped her back on her horse, and looked up into her blue eyes. "See you," she said, forcing herself to turn away from him as he smiled, nudging her horse forward.

As soon as she went home, she ran to her father. "Father!" she said excitedly. "Father, I met a boy today."

Westley smiled grimly. "So did I. In fact, I meet them all the time." Rosie rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean."

"Have him come over tomorrow night," said Westley, and though he did not state his reasons, Rosie knew why: her father wanted to test Philip, to see if he was worthy of her.

• • •

Philip found Rosie sitting outside, in a patch of forget me nots the same color as her eyes.  "Hi," he said, blushing slightly.

"Hi," she replied, standing up.  There was an awkward silence before she said, "So...do you want to go inside?  My parents are really nice, and they want to meet you."

He smiled. "Sure."

Quietly, Rosie pushed open the door. Instead of her parents, there stood a man in all black.  Buttercup was tied to a chair. Philip immediately put himself in front of Rosie as she screamed, drawing his sword.

"Who are you?" he snarled at the man in black. He smiled.

"I...I am the Dread Pirate Roberts."

Rosie's hand flew to her mouth and Philip stepped back.  "Why are you here, then?"

"i have a score to settle with Buttercup here.  Why are you here?  Or, why are you still here? Wouldn't it be much easier to just run away rather than face death? After all, you've just met this girl..."

Philip's eyes flicked to the door, but Rosie clenched his arm tightly.

"No," he shouted, running at Roberts with his sword. The man jumped out of the way and started laughing. Rosie stiffened, confused.  That was her father's laugh. Westley ripped the black mask off his face.

"Calm down, son," he said to Philip, still laughing.  Rosie breathed a sigh of relief, grabbing Philip's arm to keep him from attacking her father. 

"Who are you?" the young man demanded.  Rosie laughed. "That's my father, Philip!"

"What?" he asked, confused.  Westley smiled as he ungagged Buttercup and untied her. "You're a brave boy, Philip.  I just wanted to make sure that you were all right for my daughter." At first, it looked as though Philip was going to shout and get angry, but a moment later, he laughed too, shaking his head. "Trust me, sir.  I'll take good care of her. I promise."

"I know. And Philip? I'm sorry for scaring you.  But you should have seen your face..." he trailed off into laughter. Buttercup stood, grinning. "And there's the Westley I know and love."