Doctor Who (Tenth Doctor) ~ Rosey Cheeks

"Doctor?"

He heard her familiar voice calling from somewhere inside the TARDIS. "Come on out Rose, it's...well, it's brilliant." Footsteps. A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth as she appeared beside him, and she returned it, her eyes crinkling as she looked at him. Beautiful.

My Rose is so beautiful, the Doctor thought smiling wider. And then it disappeared. Time Lords couldn't think like that. No, because one day, Rose Tyler would die, and all he would have left is two, empty, broken heart

"Right," he said, clapping his hands together and stepping out of the TARDIS. "So here we seem to have some sort of icy, wintry planet...."

"Which is called...?" He could tell she was still smiling.

"Uh..." The Doctor thought. The TARDIS hadn't been exactly one hundred percent lately, and it hadn't told him where they'd landed or what year it was. And he couldn't seem to remember this planet.

"You don't know?" Rose laughed. "Oh my god, you are insane, Doctor!"

He smiled at her, but again, it faded. The Doctor had a time machine that could travel anywhere any time. Most assumed that was all he wanted. But it wasn't true. There was so much more, and he saw all of it in Rose. And in Rose he also saw sadness and loss, and the pain of her dying, and the fear he had of never being able to see her again. But he loved her, and in the end ... Well in the end, he was the Doctor. And he always ended up alone.

Snow flurries danced about their faces and into their hair. "Oh, it's a bit cold out here," Rose commented, then, "Let me grab a jacket real quick; I'll just be a moment."

"Yeah, sure, you  go ahead."

As she turned, he watched her. Her smile was gone. She could sense something wrong with him. Time to put on a brave face for her, he thought. She came back a few moments later in snow boots and a warm winter jacked with a fur-lined hood.

"Well, what do you think?" she asked, stepping out onto the snow, letting it crunch beneath her feet as she spun around in front of him, showing off the coat. "How do I look?"

He nodded. "Brilliant, Rose. You look brilliant." She grinned at him. "Why thank you, Doctor. You're such a gentleman."

"I do try." He winked at her, attempting a smile. Rose grabbed his hand, pulling him farther out into the snow. "Come on. We might as well explore this unknown planet while we're here."

"Of course, yeah." Their hands linked, they picked a direction and went with it. After a few minutes of nothing but snow and ice, he looked back at Rose. "Are you still cold?" he questioned, pausing. "Only a little," she answered, though she was visibly shivering. "Come here," he said suddenly, holding out his arms. She happily obliged and fell into his warm embrace, holding him tightly, and he held her. "Maybe we should go back to the TARDIS..." she suggested. "This planet doesn't seem to be interesting. It doesn't seem to be anything but cold."

The Doctor narrowed his eyes. "That's not the Rose Tyler I know," he said. "Are you okay, Rose?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, I just..."

"You just what, Rose?" he asked, noticing the sad look on her face. His pulse quickened. Why was Rose sad? Was she homesick? He could understand if she missed her family. He missed his family too, though his family was dead. Her was just very far away. "What's bothering you?"

"You, Doctor," she said, hurt showing on her face, so different from the wide smile from earlier. The Doctor blinked once in confusion.

"Me? I'm what's bothering you?"

"Yeah."

"Well, d'you want to go home then? If you don't want to be here, I wouldn't want to keep you from happiness on your precious planet Earth," he replied bitterly. She sighed and rolled her eyes, stepping away from him and straightening up.

"You know that's not what I mean."

"Then what do you mean? I'm bothering you, but you don't want to go home and be happy?"

"I'm sorry. I used the wrong word. You aren't bothering me, you just...Doctor, you make me so sad sometimes."

"I make you ... sad?"

She nodded, biting her lip, then she said quickly,"But you haven't done anything really to make me sad. Only, when I look at you, you're great. You're brilliant. But then I look at your eyes, and Doctor, your eyes are so old and so lonely. You make me sad because you're so alone; you don't have anyone to care for you, and you'll never be able to have that because you're the last of your kind. Unless you can find some other immortal creature or something--"

"I have you." He stared at her, and her speaking faltered. "I've got Rose Tyler."

"But you aren't going to have me forever."

The Doctor looked at her. Her face was pink from the chill. Suddenly, he leaned in and kissed her cheek, causing her to smile a little bit as he blushed.

"I have you for now."

The Doctor woke with a smile on his face, which disappeared the second his dream faded away. "No," he whispered, feeling his eyes sting with tears. "No no no no no!" Why did he have to dream about Rose? Really, he didn't even need to sleep. He just liked the way it felt. But not now. No, now he hated it. Sleep brought dreams, and dreams usually brought memories of people he loved, and they all ended the same way: with him waking up. The tears spilled over and fell as he struggled to forget. Forget the dream. Forget the events of the past week. But he couldn't. No matter how hard the Doctor tried, he could never forget what had happened. Several times, he'd considered going back in time to save her, but... It couldn't be done. He knew that more than anyone.

More tears fell.

And a broken man whispered "I love you" to thin air.