I'm Satisfied // Laurens

a/n: for those of you wondering, the poem Laurens wrote in the last Cat chapter can be found in Time's Up (or it will be eventually, when I get around to it lol. there's other bonus stuff there too though, so if you've got time to spare go check it out ;D)

The jump occurred while I was escorting Cat back to the Hamiltons' house-- not that she needed escorting, but neither of us really wanted our conversation to end. It started with what I'd come to see as "the usual": orange streaks blocking our vision, barely giving us enough time to grab each others' hands before we were swept off our feet and deposited elsewhere in the space-time continuum, with only blurry orange spots in our vision as proof of what had just happened.

I didn't recognize the passage we'd landed in, but judging by Janet's violent swearing and the bewildered looks on some of the Avengers' faces, I could guess it wasn't good.

"We're back at the Hamiltons' place," Banner remarked.

"We need to get Laurens out of here," Janet stated, nodding, "if Alexander sees him..." she trailed off, and I was fairly sure that all of us knew what she meant.

If Alex sees me, we break the space-time continuum and everyone dies. Yup, that's not high stakes at all.

"I'll go distract the Hamiltons," Janet decided, "or, if we're really lucky, find out they're not home."

"I'll help." Rogers and Banner chorused, while Thor and Natasha nodded their agreement.

"The rest of us have got Laurens, then," Cat concluded, shooting me a smile that did a horrible job of concealing the terror in her eyes, but I appreciated the attempt at reassurance nonetheless.

"Okay. Let's go, then, before it's too late," Janet prompted, turning headed towards the main area of the house. She was followed on her heels by Rogers, Banner, Natasha and Thor, leaving Cat and I with Stark and Clint.

"Alright," Cat stated, turning towards the other two members of our little escape squad, "we need a plan."

- - -

Cat took the lead, as was to be expected. Clint took up the rear, and Stark walked beside me with a bored expression on his face.

"I don't see why everyone is making such a big deal out of this," he muttered, "can't we just get back to the house so I can try and figure out a way to breach the dimensional barrier of communication?"

"We both know Alex isn't allowed to see me," I shrugged, "but I agree, this feels like a bit much. It is necessary, though."

Stark sighed.

"Sure, whatever."

We slowed to a halt as we reached a large room, and Cat frowned slightly at the cluttered interior.

"I'll go scout ahead if it's all clear, you guys wait here," she instructed, before sneaking off.

"Guess we'll wait then," Stark mumbled.

"I think I hear someone coming up from behind, I'm going to go check it out," Clint warned at a whisper, before turning around and disappearing down the passage we'd come from.

I glanced to the passages to our left and right, frowning slightly as I heard a muffled voice from the left.

"Thor?" someone called out cautiously, "Thor, where are you?"

"That's Bruce!" Stark frowned, "Laurens, you stay here and wait for Cat, I'll go find him."

I was barely given the time to reply "okay" before he disappeared as well, leaving me to my own devices.