Fashion Statements, Family Reunions & Unfinished Sentences \\ Cat

"Alright, we're here."

We stopped outside a sharp-looking store, with a wooden sign above the door that said Clothier to Genl. Washington, with a spool of golden thread and a scissors depicted next to the words.

"Clothier to General Washington, huh?" Laurens read with a smile.

"It's true, plus it's great for business," Herc shrugged as he dismounted, opening up the store with a key that he'd been wearing on a string around his neck, "most days this place is crowded, but today the shop's closed, so we can disguise you two in peace."

He swung the door open with a flourish, gesturing for us to enter.

"Welcome to Mulligan's Clothing Emporium-- let's get down to business, shall we?"

- - -

"What about green?" Herc suggested.

Laurens shook his head.

"That's more Alexander's colour," he claimed.

"Blue?" I suggested.

"Too close to the Revolutionary uniform," Herc replied, "it'll increase the chances of him being recognized-- what about red, though?"

"And be associated with the British?" Laurens scoffed, "I think not."

"Orange?" I proposed.

"Nope."

"Okay what about this-- a light purple?"

Laurens paused hesitantly.

"That... could... work... perhaps..."

Herc rolled his eyes dramatically.

"Yes or no, Laurens?"

"Maybe."

Herc sighed, shaking his head.

"This is going to be a loooong day."

- - -

Eventually, we managed to get our clothes sorted out. Laurens said his goodbyes to Domino-- the stallion would be staying with Herc for safekeeping, since Laurens didn't really have anyplace to house the horse now that he was supposedly dead.

Washington had informed us that Herc knew where we could find the Avengers and Janet, since he'd been the one to provide them with a place to stay. (Turns out it had originally been suggested that they stay with the Hamiltons, but Bruce had needed a place to set up a lab so they'd ultimately found a small house of their own as temporary residence.) Washington had also warned us that they still hadn't been informed of our survival and would probably be scared out of their wits at our arrival.

Although I'm sure they realize I'm not dead-- I mean, they didn't find a body, and Clint and I have seen enough movies to know that if you don't find the body, they're not dead.

Apparently I overestimated my brother juuuust a little bit.

- - -

Riding up to the cozy-looking house, I couldn't help but feel a bit nervous. Clint would be furious at me for staying away as long as I had without checking in with him, and I didn't really have any excuses to hide behind other than "Washington said so" (which would've been a pretty good excuse in most scenarios, but didn't really do much for me in this particular case).

Laurens seemed to sense my uncertainty, because he gently put a hand on my shoulder.

"You'll be fine," he reassured me, "they adore you, Cat. Even if they're angry, it'll never last."