Helpless, feat. None-of-the-Original-Characters \\ Janet

"My name isn't Jacob, Eliza." I took off my jacket, sighing slightly. "My name is actually Janet. I'm sorry I've been lying to you, especially after we became closer friends, but I couldn't risk your father finding out. He's a good man, but he'd never approve of what I'm doing."

"I understand." She smiled hesitantly. "But why are you doing it?"

"Right. I'm not... from here. I'm from a different universe. And the future. We're in the year 1780, right? Well, I arrived in this year from the 2000s. I studied history, and I didn't want to give up the more... active side of my personality in order to honor who I was. So the woman who found me--the one I call my aunt--helped me become Jacob Levin instead of Janet Levin. But at least for tonight, I'm going back to being Janet, and... I might go back permanently. I'm not really sure yet."

"Thank you for telling me the truth, Jacob. No--Thank you, Janet." She grinned at me, and I finally relaxed. "At least now I know why it never felt like I was talking to a man. I'll help you find someone to dance with tonight, for sure."

"Oh!" I blushed, ducking my head. "I, uh... I've got a couple lined up already, actually."

"Wow, and you're not even a woman yet! You'll have to teach me your tricks."

We both laughed, and I shook my head.

"You do quite well without them, 'Liza."

"Wait, if you're from the future--do you know who I marry?"

I winced. "Yeah, I do, but I'm not telling you." Something struck me, and I chuckled. "You'll meet him pretty soon, though, I think."

"Do you think it'll be tonight?"

"Maybe." I laughed. "Technically, the only exact date I know is when you marry him. I wouldn't stress about it."

"Well, at least I know I won't be an old spinster."

"Oh, come on, you'd be a really fun spinster, though."

She laughed, and I joined in.

"We should probably both be getting ready," Eliza pointed out reluctantly. "Thank you for telling me about you, Janet."

"Thanks for sticking with me," I told her, grinning. "You're a really good friend."

-

1780, a Winter's Ball...

I sighed, shaking my head. "You've got to say yes to at least one person, Natasha."

"But I don't want to dance."

"I get it, but... it's kind of shady, someone as pretty as you saying no to everyone and not having someone saved to dance with. Plus, thanks to Aunt Alison's handiwork, you look like someone with a good chunk of money. Just say yes to the next person who asks, alright? One dance."

"Fine. I don't see you dancing, though," Natasha pointed out.

"First of all, you're way prettier than me. Second of all, I promised my first dance to someone already, so I'm really just waiting for him to come get me."

"Who is it? Do I know him? Let me know if I need to break an elbow or two--"

"Who it is is none of your business. I highly doubt that you'll need to break anything, though." I laughed slightly. Not that it'd be easy if she did.

"Miss Romanoff, correct?" Lafayette interrupted.

"Yes, that's me. What is it, Laf--sir?"

"So you've heard of me?" He puffed out his chest slightly in pride. "Of course you have. My great military feats are unparalleled in this country, Madame."