We Both Know, What We Know // Coulson

Alex and I watched as Hamilton escorted Darcy away, and I was relatively sure that my confused frown was still present on my face.

"Well that just happened," Alex stated the obvious, snapping me out of my stunned trance.

"Yes. Yes, it would appear that it just did," I muttered, breaking my gaze away from the retreating figures and meeting Alex's gaze, "the question is, what do we do with it?"

Alex shrugged.

"We could go see if Jefferson ended up becoming president."

"Spoiler alert, he didn't," I mumbled under my breath, earning me a piercing glare from Alex.

"Spoilsport," he grumbled softly, before walking towards the large doors of the already familiar cabinet meeting hall. It was oddly serene and quiet -- probably because there wasn't a meeting running at the moment, and Hamilton was too preoccupied with Darcy to argue with anyone.

"We should probably go check on the rooms Jefferson assigned to us," Alex suggested.

"Jefferson assigned us rooms?" I repeated with a slight frown.

"Yeah, he did," Alex replied casually, "back when Washington was still stepping down, he was practically running the place before Washington had even officially left. It's probably been years, though, so they could be a bit dusty."

"Maybe the communicator will still be there," I mumbled to myself, "do you know where the rooms are?"

"Yep," Alex replied, "should I show you?"

"That would be great, thanks."

--

Alex had been right -- the room was dusty. But despite the dust, my gaze instantly fell on the neatly folded stack of clothes on the bed, on top of which lay my communicator.

"Ohhh, so this is the communicator-thing you were looking for earlier," Alex exclaimed, picking up the device and rotating it in his hands.

"Be careful!" I hissed, taking it from him and looking it over. "If you break this thing, we're probably stuck here."

"I'm not going to break it!"

"Well, I'm not taking the chance."

Alex rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, but didn't protest further as I double checked to make sure he hadn't pressed any buttons. When I was satisfied with my careful search, I switched it on, wondering whether Fitzsimmons had made any new discoveries.

Why... why is it off though? Could the battery have died? No, that's impossible--

Before I could further start to doubt myself or the communicator, the screen lit up, displaying a message from Fitzsimmons.

Good news! We fixed the Trampoline, the timeline should run linearly again. -- Simmons

I frowned.

Was the timeline not running linearly before? I typed back, Or do you mean the time jumps? Because so far they've all been linear.

Alex moved to stand behind me, reading along over my shoulder, which was strangely annoying.

You don't remember? That's a good sign, I gueCoulson, I need you to figure out what year you're in.

Sorry, Fitz took over again in the middle of my sentence. Do you think you could figure out what time you're in? -- Simmons

I looked sideways at Alex.

"Any idea?"

"Not really," Alex shrugged, "but I'm sure Jefferson or Madison could tell us, if we can find them."