"You was tryna to match me or what?" He joked, causing us both to laugh. I tried my hardest not to let my cheeks become rosy as he made that loveable smirk before sitting across from me. I've noticed Sidney since my entrance into high school, but never had the balls to approach him. It wasn't until I joined the basketball team that he made himself known to me and I couldn't lie and say that his looks didn't win me over. 

"You coming to the game tonight?"

"Only if you're coming to mine.." I spoke in a low voice as he leaned over to make our conversation more private.

He laughed, "Of course I am. You're a beast on that court."

I smiled in accomplishment, "Thank you, maybe I can teach you some of my moves, might help you out some." He playfully pushed my arm and we shared another hearty laugh.

"Misses Knowles," my teacher called out in annoyance.

"Sorry.." I spoke up, before sinking lower into my seat for the remainder of class.

When the bell rung, Rue sprung to feet and ran out the door before I had a chance to follow her. I rolled my eyes at her sudden change of odd behavior and told Sidney goodbye before heading out the door and following behind her.

"Way to leave me!" I called out as she stopped by her locker. "What's wrong with you?"

She continued to ignore me and placed her books in her locker. "Hello? Earth to Rue?"

"Nothing is wrong with me," she sighed. "I'm just ready to eat. You coming or not?"

I scoffed, "I already told you I was.."

"Didn't want to interrupt anything between you and -"

I rolled my eyes, "Rue stop. I told you I'm coming with you and that's what I meant."

She closed her locker shut and we walked out the door toward the student parking lot. Thankfully, Freddy's was only five minutes down the road, so we had enough time to sit down and enjoy our food before our lunch period was over. The crowd was minimal as we walked inside and we were seated right away by a former student; he and Rue shared their hellos and he told us that someone would be with us shortly.

"So why did you think me talking to Sidney would warrant that I didn't want to go out with you anymore?" I asked with a bit of confusion.

She laughed, "Aaliyah it was no big deal. You guys were talking and who was I to interrupt?" I could sense her sarcasm immediately and said nothing in response before grabbing the menu and pondering my options.

"It just feels like you got upset out of nowhere when he came around. Like I wasn't meant to talk to him or something .." I finally mustered up the courage to say. Our waiter came over to interrupt Rue before she could speak, so we placed our orders quickly to get back to the topic in question.

"That's not true in the slightest. You're entitled to have other friends, and when you do it's nothing I can be upset about."

I sighed, "All I'm saying was that it was odd; that's it."

She made a slight smirk, "Noted."

The awkward lunch that followed after was uneventful and we drove back to school in silence with our leftovers.

"I'll see you at the game?" I asked her before we parted ways.

"Maybe .. good luck tho." She gave my arm a playful punch then disappeared into the crowd. Our conversation definitely had shot my mood down, but then again maybe I was overthinking the whole situation.