How was I going to explain this one?

However, my prayers seem to be answered as a light shower of rain sounds on the roof of my car. I silently thank Destiny, not even knowing if she controls the weather. I walk inside, allowing myself to become damp again, hiding any evidence that I had been wet before the storm.

The packhouse is full as I walk in the front door but I ignore Lenna and Isaac's calls and conceal the watch in my hand. Headed straight up the stairs, I didn't need anyone questioning where I got it.

I sit alone in the guest bedroom I was given last night. I knew Klayton was probably attending to some sort of pack bussiness but it didn't matter becuase I wanted to see Destiny. I wanted her to tell me what to do with this pocket watch; was this what held the piece of Artemi's soul? I close my eyes and lay back on my bed. I'm thinking about saying something out loud but the thought seems stupid. How would she even hear me?

I startle awake, unware that I had dozed off in my thoughts. An exasperated voice runs through the room.

"I can't keep coming to you, she is gonna know something is up."

Manicured nails tap against the dresser making me shoot out of bed.

"What?" I say, my voice cracking from my dry throat. I wasn't even given a minute to collect my thoughts.

"Right now you have the advantage. Artemis thinks you don't know the truth yet, but if I hang around she will catch on pretty fast. Take the advantage while you have it, because it won't be for long..." Her answers always make more questions pop into my head.

"I just wanted to ask, well.... what am I? Am I a witch... or like part Goddess or something? I felt something today when I was under the water?"

Destiny's dry laughter fills the air.

"You can say that you have the potential to be both—and the answers lie in the collection of my sisters souls," Destiny turns to leave, reaching for the door but my words stop her hand from reaching the handle.

"Wait, so, Artemis is the Goddess of the Moon... Theia was the Goddess of the Sun... so why aren't you a Goddess?" The thought had hit me suddenly and I wondered how they could be sisters but not hold the same titles.

"I am," Destiny responds as she pulls a pack of gum from her pocket and pops one into her mouth. She doesnt expand and I can't stop myself from continuing to badger her about it.

"Well of what?"

Destiny rolls her eyes and her response is just as crytpic as her whole aura, "It's written in the... the,"

I stare blankly back, I just wanted a staight answer for once. A sigh releases from her mouth and she walks forward, leaning into my ear.

"The stars," She whispers, and then she is gone; just like that, in the blink of an eye.

~

Klayton isn't happy when I tell him I want to go back to my apartment. I couldn't even imagine how mad he would be if he really knew why I was going back.

The stuggle with my key before kicking my door open. Klayton hovers in the door frame waiting for me to invite him inside. I pull at the front of his t-shirt and bring him to me. His chest came in contact with my face and I inhaled deeply before unclasping my hand from the bunched fabric.

I turn to face in the inside of my home. I throw my key on the counter and open the fridge. The only thing staring back at me was a half empty brita. The true life of a university student. I sigh as I grab the pitcher and pour myself a glass.

I turn around, my waist pressed agaisnt the kitchen island. Klayton is standing on the other side watching over me protectively.

"I'm okay by myself you know," My small voice and the words seem to hurt his heart. He looks me in the eyes and nods his head. I can sense his trust for me and I instantly feel guilty; why did I feel like I needed to keep something so big from him?

But I refused to cave after getting this far. Maybe I would tell him after I figured out what was so special about this seemingly ordinary watch.

I move away from the kitchen and find myself standing in front of him. My glass on the counter behind me, long forgotten. I kiss him. Not a heat of the moment frantic kiss, but a passionate kiss filled with the words I had yet to say... I am in love with you. His lips met mine in a similar response before I broke off.

"Goodnight Klayton," I whisper before retreating backwards. I didn't want to do anything that would go too far. Not after the day I had. I needed time to myself. As I shut the door behind him I mouthed the words 'I love you' hoping that one day soon I have the courage to say it to his face.

~

I close my bedroom door despite the fact that I was the only one in my apartment. The closure gave me comfort. I reached up into my closet and from in between a pack of messy clothes I always had lung around, I pulled the necklace I once wore everyday.

The one that Artmeis had made so that I wouldn't find my mate.

The weight felt perfect in my hand, the feeling of familiarity overwhelming me as I pull Hana's pocket watch from my hoodie pocket. I hold each in a hand and it was like the room began to vibrate.

I knew.

It took me seconds to figure it out.

This was Hana's version of my necklace, to prevent her from feeling the mate bond. I could feel the perfect match of energy; the equality of power. Artemis had reused this tactic on me— failing yet again. I felt almost cheap... I wasn't even worth new tricks? Artemis thought the same old magic would keep me at bay.

Boy was she wrong.

I move the two pieces of hardware together. The vibrations against my hand becoming intense. I yelp and drop the pieces on the ground when they start to bind together. I rapidly start blinking, thinking my tired eyes are playing tricks on me. I shake my head as I watch the pocket watch melt into the necklace. It is only a matter of seconds before the vibrations cease and my necklace lay in perfect condition on the ground. The watch nowhere in sight.

I don't know what inner force compelled me to do what I do next as I pick it up and fasten it around my neck.

Without warning my chest begins to burn, as if fire was crawling across my skin. I open my mouth to scream but nothing comes out, the pain almost too overwhelming. I reach up to break off the necklace but my hands can't grasp the chain; like it was sinking into my own skin. My heart feels like it is on fire when I turn to look in the mirror.

I will never be prepared for what I see in the reflection.

The necklace is gone.

🖤 PLEASE VOTE AND FOLLOW 🖤