Chapter 18: Becoming A Man

Sky Village

"So that is what attacked us?" Y/N asked the man showing them a painting of a giant bird. "Yes this is a Roc it is much larger than our eagles" the man answered. "Why is it attacking people?" Honō asked the man. "That is the thing we don't exactly know, it showed up one day after we declined any involvement in a trade deal with this man who called himself king" the man answered.

Y/N had an idea of who the man was talking about and he didn't exactly like it. "What did this king want to trade with you?" Y/N asked. "He wanted to us our birds in his war while also teaching his soldiers how to fly" the man answered. "The other tribes have declined as did we but we fear that this king is trying to force us to agree to do what he wants" another man said.

Y/N didn't like what he was hearing at all he had found somewhere else where the evil of the king of Melromarc had touched. "How can Y/N and I help you and your people out?" Honō asked the men. "You can kill the Roc" a man answered "no kill the king" another man argued that is ridiculous "they'll send more after us" another man said. The tent began to explode with tribesmen arguing about what to do.

"Quiet" the tribe elder said speaking up above the arguing voices. "The hero of the dagger has offered to help our village once more like the one who came before him, we mustn't fight" a man said. "My son Freezing Wind is right if we are to solve our problem we must let the hero of the dagger help" the elder said. The other in the tent listened to what the elder had to say. Soon the elder looked over at Y/N waiting for him to say something.

"Look if I am to kill this Roc and stop it from terrorizing your village and all of the other villages around here I need information" Y/N said. "What kind of information?" the son of the elder asked. "Simple I need to know where the bird nest, what are it's weaknesses and how strong is it" Y/N answered. "That is easy the Roc has made its home atop the sacred mountain" a tribesman answered.

"But the hero can not climb up the mountain" another tribesman spoke up. "That is right I'm afraid the hero can't go to it's nest" the elder said. Before hope seemed lost Freezing Wind spoke up. "Wait father why don't we make him one our tribe and make him take a manhood test" Freezing Wind said. "That is a great idea we will have his joining ceremony tommorow before the test" the elder said. Everyone in the tent began to cheer as Y/N and Honō sat there quietly looking at them.

Time Skip

After the hectic meeting it had been decided for Y/N that in order to climb the sacred mountain to kill the Roc he would have to go through a ceremony and test to make him a member of the tribe. Y/N didn't honestly know what to do it wasn't like he had a choice in the matter. He was a hero though and it was his duty to help those in need. He and Honō had been split up as they were cleaned and dresses for tomorrow.

Y/N was taken to a tent by a member of the tribe. Inside he thought he was alone but instead he was sharing a tent with Honō. Normally Y/N wasn't one to blush but looking at Honō wearing one of the tribes nightgowns it really brought out her features. Y/N hesitantly got on the sleeping matt next to Honō. With the lights out Y/N couldn't exactly go to sleep. The two began to talk about everything that had happened today. They themselves had no idea things would end up like this.
____________________________________

Flashback

Y/N POV:

Honō and I had ridden into the village after the giant bird attacked us. Luckily we were both okay and hadn't gotten any injuries. We were greeted by the people of the village then by the one who helped us. His name was Freezing Wind and he was the son of the village elder. When he shook my hand he saw my dagger and instantly recognized me. "The hero of the dagger has come to save us" he said.