Chapter 4: Not As They Seem

Ever since that day the day this world showed it's true colors and bared it's fangs I haven't been the same. Seeing them crucify Naofumi like that then to come after me was the nail in the coffin. I though coming to this world I'd be a hero and save people. Now they whisper when they see me walking in the streets, they avoid me like the plague some even throw things at me. That is no way for a hero to be treated. However I can't say I have it worse Naofumi is seen as a monster I hear he can't get anyone to join his party and hides around throwing monster balloons at people who come after.

When I heard that Naofumi was acting like he was a criminal deserving of his reputation I was upset. I told him that I was there for him when and if he needed me. With me I can't be in the city really anymore word got out that I "threatened" to kill the king shops won't sell to me and I can't a room at any inn or meals at the taverns. So mostly I've been camping out in the woods getting stronger and stronger.

I haven't gotten any new daggers yet I've been mostly working on upgrading my skills and stats. To be honest with you it kind of sucks working alone my attack and speed are great but my defense is really lacking a few hits and I'm almost dead makes me wish Naofumi and I could team up or I could get a mage on my team.

Crawling Forest

I'm nowhere near the kingdom anymore I've gone out to this forest that no one goes to. It is called the crawling forest but locals nearby give it the nickname the living woods that was all the information I could get out of them before the tried to get away from me. So far I haven't ran into any monsters in the forest. Or any animals as a matter of fact it's weird and quiet too quiet.

I had been walking for some time now and I was getting tired. I felt that it was safe enough for me to take a quick nap in the shade. My superior hearing would alert me to anyone or anything that would come near me. So with that I found the perfect tree to rest on. I stretched, sat down, laid back against the tree and closed my eyes. For a minute there I thought I was going to actually get some sleep.

Suddenly the tree began to shake wildly and made a weird sound. I jumped up and backed away slowly. The ground began to vibrate as well. That's when it happened the tree began to move. Roots from the ground came up and they wrapped themselves around the tree forming a large monster.

It was some type of treant that had been sleeping as well and I woke it up

It was some type of treant that had been sleeping as well and I woke it up. I tried to back away slowly as to not provoke it and cause an unnecessary fight. It looked at me roared and slammed it's arm into my stomach. The blow from the attack sent me crashing into another tree. All of a sudden that tree began to shake and another treant appeared. When the treant started to walk towards me it gave off a loud roar as did the other treant.

The ground began to shake and more treants appeared I guess I found out why this place was nicknamed the living woods. With no other choice I readied my dagger I formed another one for my other hand. I needed as many daggers as possible to fight off all of these treants.