Chapter 28: Comfort and Secrets

Start from the beginning

Sara could not hear him. The events of the last day were sweeping through her mind as she stared glass-eyed at her hands. They were painted red with blood; Fili's blood, Thorin's blood, and her own. Her eyes fell to her torn clothes covered in gore and dirt and her head began to feel light and fuzzy. She needed air… now! She stood, pushing her way back through the rest of the company who were gathered anxiously around the injured and left through a ruined section of the nest wall. Her mind was buzzing as she let her feet wander, only paying enough attention to her surroundings to be sure she didn't walk into anything or off the edge of the cliff. She fought to push back the terror threatening to overwhelm her as she sat down drawing her knees to her chest. She ignored the throbbing in her arms, relegating the pain to the back of her mind along with all other feelings as she rested her forehead on her arms and began to rock back and forth. She sat there many long minutes trying to concentrate on her breathing and keeping her mind blank. Blank was good. Blank meant she could ignore the emotions trying to swell inside her. Sara felt the brush of warm feathers surrounding her and she looked up to see that one of the giant eagles had come and taken her quite literally under its wing. It lowered its head and she stared back into its round golden eyes before it spoke.

"Hatchlings in distress should be kept warm," it said simply, tucking her further against its side fluffing its feathers for better insulation. Sara opened her mouth to tell the eagle that she was not a child anymore but decided against it as the birds warmth enveloped her. Blank and warm was also good. She sat in the dark, the birds warmth seeping into her for quite some time and did not move when she heard someone calling her name.

"Sara," called Bofur's voice in an even tone. "Sara where are ya lass?"

"Do you seek my little hatchling master dwarf?" asked the bird encircling her.

"If by 'yer little hatchling' ya mean a young human female, then yes, I am. Do ya know where I can find her," he asked.

"She is here," replied the eagle shifting its wings slightly. "She is in distress. Hatchlings in distress should be kept warm," informed the eagle. Sara still did not respond, only listening to the two talk.

"Well, can I see her?" asked Bofur. "She's not only in distress she's injured." The eagle eyed him for a moment and cocked its head to the side.

"You wish to aid her?"

"Well these extra clothes and bandages are not for me," he replied wryly. Several seconds passed in silence and then the eagle lifted its wing allowing Bofur to come and sit under its wing.

"Ya certainly know how to pick a pleasant hiding spot," said Bofur running his fingers over the birds speckled breast. She remained still. "Lass are ya all right?" he asked when she didn't raise her head to look at him. She gave a small shrug and Bofur scooted closer. "Come on, tell me what's bothering ya." She shook her head and he was silent for a while.

"I remember the first time I saw a battle," sighed Bofur. "I was about the same age as Fili and Kili are now. Of course, I had sparred and even been in a few small skirmishes, but nothing... nothing quite like my first battle. Ya see," he said sitting up straighter, "Every couple of years or so, the settlement where me and Bombur lived was raided by orcs, but the mining in the area was so good that no one wanted to leave. Our parents and Bifur's died in a particularly devastating raid when I was about 54 and Bifur took me and Bombur in, himself only being about 87 at the time. There were a few smaller attacks in the following years but never anything too serious and though I was soon considered old enough to be called upon to fight, Bifur always made us promise not to get involved. But, this could not last forever, and in the spring I turned 73 there was a massive invasion from the orcs up north. We had no choice but to fight. It was a fierce and bloody battle and we lost many of our friends and kin before the enemy was driven back. We almost lost Bifur; ya see that's how he got his injury," said Bofur tapping his forehead. Sara had raised her head and was listening as he spoke.