Chapter 22: Into the Mountains

Start from the beginning

Sara sighed in frustration rubbing her hand through her hair. "Well you didn't look under the bed then," she said simply. "I should have packed sooner."

"I'm sorry Sara," said Kili his face falling and she felt a twinge of guilt.

"It's okay Kili," she said. "It's just it's been a long day and I have a lot to think about and try to come to terms with. It's was a very intense night and I'm afraid you got the backlash." He was still looking at the ground. She reached out and hugged him. "I'm sorry Kili," she said squeezing him again. "Really it's okay. I probably would not have been able to use it anyway. I'm not mad, just tired. Thank you for packing my things for me."

He looked up at her now. "Are you sure you are not mad at me?"

"I'm not mad," she assured. "Though it will make things very interesting for me. I guess I will just have to get used to less privacy."

"We will help you as much as we can," vowed Fili.

"Thank you," she said smiling faintly at them now.

"I did grab you an extra blanket," said Kili brightly.

"Oh?" she said. "And where did you get it from?"

Kili grinned mischievously. "I borrowed one from Lord Elrond."

"You mean you stole it," she corrected. He shrugged.

As it turned out the blanket was not all that Kili had 'borrowed'. He had also taken some extra socks, undergarments and a pair of winter gloves from the chest in her room, and a towel and cloth from her bathroom. He was rather proud as he showed her the soap he had stuffed in her bag as well. If truth be told Sara was rather glad for the additions to her pack but promised herself to try and make it right with Lord Elrond if ever she got the chance. Several of the others too it seemed were guilty of petty larceny and Sara just sighed shaking her head when she had seen the two ponies heavy laden with food.

"Elrond intended to send ponies and food with us," said Thorin when he spotted her disapproval. "He just had not intended to send them with us so soon." Sara laughed weakly. At least the mystery of the raided pantries was a closed case, and she felt that come morning Elrohir would put two and two together. Soon they were making their way along a narrow footpath by moonlight leading deeper into the valley and away from Elrond's home. For the most part, Sara and Bilbo could see once they were on the path and the dwarves were patient as they helped them along where needed. Luckily, by the time they reached the steep and winding trail along the cliff side the sun had begun to come up and full visibility returned. The path led up and out of Imladris and just before they made their final ascent Sara spotted Bilbo standing it on a small overlook a mournful expression on his face as he gazed back down at Rivendell.

"It's beautiful, isn't it," she said coming to stand beside him and share the view. He was silent for a moment.

"I'm really going to miss Rivendell," he said quietly. "Almost as much as Bag End."

"Well maybe you'll get to come back someday," she said, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"He offered to let me stay," sighed Bilbo.

"Who?"

"Lord Elrond," he replied. "He said I was welcome to stay if I wanted to, and I have to admit that at times I'm very sorely tempted to accept his generous offer." Sara held their breath as they stood watching, waiting for his next words. "But I have signed a contract and given my word, and a Baggins is nothing if not true to his word," he said after a time. Sara let out a relieved but silent breath. She knew that Bilbo did not always enjoy their adventure and often wished to return home, and she could not say she blamed him, she too would have gone home if given the opportunity, but Bilbo has stuck it out so far. She was glad she didn't have to convince him to continue for he could not be allowed to remain here, he still did not possess the ring, at least she didn't think he did. She looked down at him studying her friend quietly.