Chapter 21: Council and Escape

Start from the beginning

"Gandalf," she said with a small smile that nonetheless lit up her eyes.

"Age may have changed me, but not so the lady of Lorien." Galadriel inlined her head. "Tell me, why have you called this council together?" asked Gandalf his eyes sliding toward Sara, his eyebrows raised slightly in question. Sara shrugged and gave a small nod in the direction of the elf lady.

"She didn't," said a voice on the steps. "I did."

Gandalf closed his eyes, a resignation pinching his lips together. A figure clad all in white reached the top step. He carried a tall white staff and looked as old as Gandalf which was ... well who knew how old Gandalf was. Ageless probably. Gandalf turned and gave a slight nod to the new cover.

"Saruman," greeted Elrond.

Saruman! Warning bells sounded in Sara's mind. Saruman the white wizard? The same wizard who would in the future betray and capture Gandalf, attempting to turn him to the will of Sauron? The wizard who would breed the Uruk-hai and lay waste to the edge of Fangorn Forest, calling the wrath of the ents down upon himself. The wizard who would try to stop the fellowship at every opportunity? Could there be any other? Sara sat rigidly in her chair as the white wizard spied her, a frown creasing his face. She would need to tread carefully. It was not known when Saruman would be turned; perhaps he already had. Even if he hadn't, he would someday, and every bit of information he knew about the future he would surely pass on to Sauron. She could not afford to slip up.

"Who is this? Why is she here?" asked Saruman, scrutinizing her.

"I wish her to be a party in our council," said Galadriel. The white wizard looked to the lady.

"I do not pretend to understand your reasoning, my lady, but if you wish it..." Gandalf stepped forward and placed a hand on Sara's shoulder.

"This is Sara Miller. She is one of Thorin Oakenshield's companions." Saruman sat down across from Sara and Gandalf sat to her right.

"You have been busy of late, my friend," said Saruman, turning his gaze to the other wizard. "Tell me Gandalf, did you really think that these plans and schemes of yours would go unnoticed."

"Unnoticed?"

"Indeed," said Elrond, pacing slowly. "You said nothing of the dwarves' true purpose or design until this evening."

"I was simply doing what I felt to be right," defended Gandalf. "I was going to tell you. I only awaited the proper chance. Really, I think you can trust that I know what I'm doing."

"Do you?" asked Elrond seriously, pausing in his step. "That dragon has slept for over sixty years. What if your plan should fail and you wake that beast?"

"What if we should succeed?" countered Gandalf. "If the dwarves take back the mountain our defenses in the East will be strengthened."

"The dragon has long been on your mind," said Lady Galadriel looking to Gandalf from where she stood.

"It is true my lady. Smaug owes allegiance to no one, but should he side with the Enemy, a dragon could be used to terrible effect."

"What enemy?" cut in Saruman impatiently. "Gandalf the Enemy is defeated. Sauron is vanquished. He can never again regain his full strength."

"He doesn't need his full strength to cause trouble in Middle Earth," muttered Sara. The white wizard's eyes darted to her, irritated.

"What would you know of this? We speak of an ancient evil far older than you." Sara ducked her head under his scrutiny but Gandalf quickly drew his attention.