Chapter 14: Flee For Your Lives

Start from the beginning

"Radagast! Radagast the Brown," said Gandalf striding forward. The others relaxed but did not lower their weapons. Sara recalled that Radagast was the name of the brown wizard from a conversation she had with Bilbo and Gandalf when the dwarves were not speaking with her. "What on earth are you doing here?" questioned the gray wizard.

"I was looking for you Gandalf," said the brown wizard. "Something is wrong. Something is terribly wrong."

"Yes?" urged Gandalf. "Quickly now for we are being hunted."

The brown wizard made as if to speak but no words came from him and a flustered look came over his face. "Just give me a minute... Oh... I had a thought and now it's gone. It was right there on the tip of my tongue." He drew his hat from his head ringing it in his hands. Sara swore she saw a bird's nest in his hair before he replaced his hat, his face brightening. "OH! It's not a thought at all. It's..." Gandalf reached forward and drew something from off his companions tongue and dropped the small wriggling thing into the brown wizards hand. " ... A silly old stick insect," finished Radagast. Gandalf had said that Radagast preferred nature and the companionship of animals, but Sara would never have guessed it to be quite this ... invasive. Judging from the revolted look on Bilbo's face she was not imagining things. Sara fought the pain as a wash of dizziness swept over her and she tried to hear what the brown wizard had come to say.

Radagast continued. "The Greenwood is sick Gandalf. Nothing good grows there anymore. The air is foul with decay, but worst are the webs."

"Webs?" asked the gray wizard. "What do you mean?"

"Spiders Gandalf, giant ones. Some sort of spawn of Ungoliant, or I am not a wizard. I followed their trail; they came from Dol Guldur." Gandalf who had been pacing stopped and looked at the brown wizard warily.

"Dol Guldur? But the old fortress is abandoned," insisted the gray wizard.

"No Gandalf, tis not. A dark power dwells there, such as I have never felt before. It is the shadow of an ancient evil." Sara wondered what ancient evil that could be. The rise of the only evil she knew of was not to come for many years yet. She listened as Radagast continued. "One that can summon the spirits of the dead. I saw him Gandalf, from out of the darkness a necromancer has come." Radagast's eyes glazed over and he was still for a few moments lost in a trance before giving a start. "Sorry," he said. Gandalf let him take a puff of his pipe and the brown wizard relaxed considerably. The dwarves were still surrounding Sara keeping watch as she fought to stay on her feet.

"Now," said Gandalf, "A necromancer?" he eyes the other skeptically. "Are you sure?" Radagast straightened and handed what look like a wrapped sword to Gandalf. The gray wizards unwrapped the hilt and his face paled.

"That is not from the world of the living Gandalf," said Radagast, all disquiet gone from his eyes now. A howl pierced the thick tension and a warg came bounding through the trees towards them. Dwalin stepped behind a large tree facing the group and just as the beast burst through the bush beside him the dwarf brought his ax down into the creature's head stilling it instantly. A second wolf jump from over its fallen companion towards the group of dwarves. Sara heard a twang and looked to see Kili reaching for a second arrow, but his first had hit its mark clean and the wolf dropped. Thorin beheaded it with a swing of his blade. This was all too much for Sara and she sank to the ground.

"Sara," cried Fili but Oin reached her first and yanked up her Gravity Falls t-shirt to examine her stomach. He drew a sharp breath as he pulled away her bandage and a foul smell hit Sara. Had she had any food in her belly it would have made an appearance as she began to dry heave, groaning in pain as her stomach convulsed.