The Chase

Rocket and Gamora also got in pods and fought alongside Peter and I.

We slammed into hundreds of Kree ships. And it looked pretty badass.

"Peter," I said through the control panel.

"Yeah?"

"Look, there's a bunch of the Kree behind you. You need to see if you can lose them. I've already taken out the ones I can."

"Got it."

He steered left, right, and possibly every direction to get the Kree off his tail.

It just occurred to me that he was the one who has the orb.

That's why they were chasing him.

"Sam!" He shouted. "I can't lose them! I'm going up!"

"But, Pete, these pods are meant to be out there! Come back!"

It was too late. I just prayed that he threw the ships off his tail.

Being the nervous love wreck that I am, I decide to follow him up and see if he needs any help.

When I got there, I discovered Rocket had followed me as well.

A few moments went by. Peter was stationary and so were the enemy.

Then, shots were fired by the Kree.

Right.

At.

Peter.

I could have sworn my heart stopped.

"NOOOOOOO!!" I screamed.

Peter was floating along with the orb and pieces of the pod.

A tear escaped my eye. I knew it wouldn't be the last one shed.

The Kree ship had retrieved the orb.

At this point, that didn't even concern me. I was too distracted by Peter's now limp body.

"Stratton," Rocket said. "There's nothing we can do. In a minute we're going to be in the same boat."

My attention was directed towards Peter again. His body began to turn white.

"These pods aren't meant to be out here, remember?" Rocket concluded and turned his pod back towards Knowhere.

I ran a nervous hand through my hair, thinking about a life without the one person who truly makes me happy.

Suddenly, I feel what was behind my ear.

Peter's mask.

That is when it hit me.

"Yondu!" I yelled into the control panel. "Yondu! I am at coordinates: 2273, 3345. Just outside Knowhere. Come get me. I'm all yours."

I clicked the button and the mask draped over my face. I opened the pod and flew out, heading towards Peter.

Once I got to him, I held him in my arms and removed the mask from my face to his. He started to breath. He was going to be okay.

Now, me on the other hand, that was a different story.

I was close to dying and I could feel it. It's a weird feeling. It's kind of just like I let myself die. But, I would rather die knowing Peter is alive than be alive and have Peter dead.

I soon saw lights coming from a ship.

Yondu and the Ravagers.

Another light came from their ship and it pulled us towards it.

Maybe we were going to be okay after all.