Chapter XXXVII

Avon stared at the floor. She was alone in her cell : Paula had been moved one week before. It had been nearly a month now, since the Queen had visited her. Avon's execution day was delayed due to problems in the west, however, it was only a night away now. Bourne had tried to visit, but Avon had refused. She didn't want to see her brother distraught. He had sent her a letter, however, which made tears run down Avon's cheeks.
It was quiet with no one around. The air was cold. The room was dark. All Avon could do to entertain herself was mumbling. She told herself stories, ones that she heard in her childhood.
Suddenly, rapid footsteps approached. They got nearer and nearer until a cloaked figure appeared. When they stopped, a strand of light blonde hair slipped out from beneath their hood. The door was unlocked and swung open. Abruptly, the figure pulled Avon up. Avon struggled and managed to pull the hood off the figure's head. It was a girl with ash blonde hair, black-brown eyes and beautiful features. The Queen.
"W-what are you doing?" Avon asked.
The Queen let go of Avon. She untied the front of her cloak and looked Avon in the eye. Avon looked her over. Her normally immaculate, purple dress was stained red at the chest and the tips of the sleeves.
"I've... I've done a terrible thing tonight."
Avon's mouth opened in horror. Blood. The Queen was covered in blood, and the reason was beginning to dawn on Avon. A murder. The Queen dragged Avon along the corridor, not allowing any time for questions.

This is the end of The Time to Run. For the end of Avon's story, please read The Voice of the Nightingale. Thank you for reading!

Thank you to my friend Petra (PicoPetra), who helped me write when I was just beginning the story. Paula was a character based on her.

Thank you to my partner, Ash, who helped me with the plot and encouraged me to write more. The Queen was a character dedicated to them.