Chapter XVII

Avon followed Jack through the crowds. She carried the things he had bought her. In her hands, she had a dress, a necklace, new boots and an earring. If he buys anything more, I'll start to look more and more like a noble, Avon thought.
Judging from the sun, it was around ten a o'clock in the morning.
"Okay, you need to stop now." She said, half giggling. No one had ever been this caring towards her. She was always looking after her family instead of them looking after her.
Jack nodded and dragged Avon to a small copse of trees. He pushed her in, following after.
"What are we here for?"
"You need to change."
"What?" She screamed, no one was here except Jack, but she had only known him for a day. She would never change in front of him. "Can't we change in the inn?"
"It's too early to get a room. Anyway, there are bushes and trees. I promise I won't peek."
Avon had no other choice. The kaftan made her stand out in the midst of the rich women of the city. She walked further into the copse and checked that Jack wasn't looking. He had his eyes shut, tightly.
Avon pulled off the kaftan. She had only simple undergarments. Her family was too poor to afford any form of corset or brassiere, so she wore nothing on her top half and simple shorts on her bottom.
She looked back to Jack, making sure he had not opened his eyes.
Taking care not to damage the fabric of her new dress, she put it on. It fell to her ankles.
She stepped out of her hiding place and shouted, "Hey, I'm done Jack. You can look."
Jackson opened his eyes and looked Avon over. She blushed, which she began to feel she did a lot in the presence of this man.
"I'll help with the jewellery."
He came over and tucked her hair behind her ear. Carefully, he grabbed the delicate earring and put in in Avon's ear. Jack then grabbed the necklace and clasped it round her neck.
"Stunning."
Avon went to a nearby bench and swapped her boots. Her old ones were covered in mud and other filth. The new ones were graceful and more befitting of a lady : they were black, with small crystals dotted around the top. On the bottom, was a heel, making her not seem as short next to Jackson.
"How could you afford all this?"
"Well, that's a secret."
"And, why? Why did you buy me all this stuff?" She asked.
"You need to blend in." He said. However, Avon could tell that wasn't the real reason.