Chapter XXVI

The Queen and Nicholas finished. Ash walked back to the camp after saying goodnight, giggling the whole time.
Avon was disgusted. She thought her new Queen would be better than this, but she was wrong.
Nicholas stayed behind to check on Avon. He opened the door and checked her over, making sure that she had not gained anything during the hours in her prison. He walked out, locking the door. Next, he checked the knot. He went to the bar it was tied to and leaned towards to check it was secure. Avon whispered in his ear, "I saw."
That was all she needed to say to make an expression of fear spread across his face. With the many rumours going around, it would take only the smallest bit of evidence to find the Queen guilty.
"No!" He stumbled back and Avon faced him.
"Take off my bonds, or I'll tell the whole camp."
Without hesitation, he cut the rope around her hands.
"Don't say anything, please! You'll put Ash in danger."
The strong guard who had imprisoned her earlier was now someone begging for safety.
"Unlock my cage, and the dragons'."
Nicholas followed her orders. The dragons were freed. Although she wanted to, Avon didn't run up to them. If she did, Nicholas could stab her in the back, and she would be dead before she could utter a word.
"Now, give me my satchel."
He looked around in a storage tent and found it. Avon didn't dare take her eyes off him. She didn't know what he could source from there.
Nicholas came out with her satchel and some bread. He stuffed the bread into the satchel. Avon was thankful but didn't say anything.
"Lastly, give me your sword... and saddle the dragon."
He did what she asked and Avon began to head off. Before she could fly away, Nicholas called, "Don't tell anyone. I couldn't stand if anything happened to Ash."
"One piece of advice. If you care about her so much, end it."
With that, Avon flew off into the night sky.