Chapter XXIV

They stopped outside, from what Avon could see, a small town. Someone chucked some bread into Avon's prison and said, "You're not getting anything more, be grateful."
She nibbled on it, savouring the last piece of food for what would probably be a while. The Queen sat on a log near where Avon was. Avon didn't notice and began crying. Over the trip, her anger had dissipated and was replaced with sadness. The man she had given her trust had betrayed her. She had given him a part of her heart and he shattered it.
"Why are you crying?" The Queen asked.
Avon looked over and quickly wiped her tears away.
"I wasn't!"
"You were. You need to get better at hiding these things."
Avon continued crying.
"Tell me what's wrong." The Queen ordered, then she muttered, "I'm a bit bored."
"Well, a man I was beginning to love just left me to die."
The Queen huffed and tutted.
"You think you have it bad? Try being engaged to your husband all your life, then marry him and have him choose his whores over you."
Avon looked over at the Queen. Why was she telling her this? What if Avon gossiped?
"Why are you telling me this?"
"You're probably going to die soon, and dead men don't tell tales."
"You really hate your husband that much?"
"Of course! He treats me like an object."
"How exactly does he treat you?"
"He doesn't let me make decisions! I'm just there for show!"
Avon chuckled slightly. She knew she was going to die, so what was the point in trying to stay alive.
"What are you laughing about?" The Queen asked, infuriated.
"You think he treats you any different than other husbands do these days. They don't treat you like equals. I have many married friends, and they don't complain when their husbands treat them like objects. It's how marriage works."
The Queen walked off and left. Naive, Avon thought. Then she realised she probably would act just like the Queen did. She'd hate just being like a diamond ring, something that a person had for show but they'd never really use. She thought about how Jackson was so kind to her, which made her eyes fill with tears.