Chapter XI

The guard garbed the front of her kaftan, lifting her off the ground to the tips of her toes. He stepped backward, pulling her upwards so that she was now suspended in the air.
How did I get here? Avon asked herself.
The guard pulled her face towards his and said, "After what you took from Sir Axton, we can never forgive you." His tone was calm but cold.
"How'd you have the nerve to take his family ring, his most prized possession?" Asked the other guard.
She felt the breath of the guard on her face and she turned away. Avon guessed that Sir Axton had accused her of stealing his family heirloom, which even she knew was one of the most important things to him.
His grip on her dress was growing tighter and tighter. A bead of sweat fell down her brow.
"Scared are you? Can't blame you, you're only a stable hand. What were you thinking?" He teased.
Avon knew they wouldn't harm her, but her instincts told her to thrash around, so she did. The guards laughed as she hopelessly kicked the air.
She didn't know what to do. Barely any of the few people around her seemed to have any compassion towards her. Some of them seemed like they were enjoying it. Some of looked like they were about to join the guards' merciless laughter.
She continued to squirm around, attempting to loosen the mans grip, but nothing worked.

Then, she felt a hand brush up against her back and under her knees. In seconds she was off. Someone was carrying her like she was a princess in some kind of fantasy novel. The man's grip tightened as he ran across the alleyway and turned a sharp corner, making Avon shout the worst curses she had said in a while. She looked up, but his face was covered with the hood of a travellers cloak. They turned through the labyrinth of the town centre until the guards where gone from sight. Avon was lowered down. She stood up and faced the man who had just saved her. In her mind a dozen responses were formed : Thank you. You saved my life. I am so grateful.
However, all she could say was, "Who are you?"
Under the hood, he smiled, a cheeky smile. "Well, that depends, who's asking?"