Chapter XII

"Well, that depends, who's asking?" His voice was rich in tone. The man took off his hood, revealing his face. He had a chiselled face and stubble on his chin. His eyes were amber and his hair was chocolate brown and reached his shoulders.
Avon replied, "I'm Avon F-"
"Avon Fair, yes, I know. The guards were very clear. But who are you?"
Avon shot him a look of annoyance and he laughed. It was a joyful laughter, not like some of the nobles : he was actually having fun. A smile spread across Avon's face.
"If you let me finish, I might be able to tell you." She commented.
"Well, apparently you stole some sort of ring?"
"No!" She exclaimed. She realised how loud she had been and lowered her voice. "What happened was much worse."
"Well, you're going to have to tell me later, because they're on our tail."
"Can I run on my own this time?" She asked.
"Yeah, sure, your a bit too heavy anyway."
Avon laughed and ran after the man. She didn't know him, but she felt like he was like her, in the same position. On the run.
They turned corners and ran through roads. Soon they were out the walls of the town and in the pine forest, where the guards couldn't find them.
They sat down on the ground and heaved. Avon didn't talk for several seconds, and neither did the man next to her. She looked around, analysing the new area.
"Wait, I think I recognise this place." Avon said.
"Yeah, and?"
"I tied my dragon up somewhere around here..."
"Yeah, dragon." He replied skeptically.
Dragon's were only owned by nobles and others rich enough to by them. Avon was only a thief for all he, of course he wouldn't believe she had a dragon.
Avon walked through trees and past a small hill. She reached a small spring and took an left. There was Rapid.
Avon ran up to hug her and the dragon woke with a start. Still sleeping? Avon thought. She embraced the dragon, feeling the coolness of her scales, the warmth of her breath. Rapid realised what was going on and nuzzled Avon's forehead. Ginger crawled out of the satchel and rubbed against Rapid's stomach.

"What?" The man she didn't know asked with clear surprise. "You're going to have to explain a lot."
Avon smiled and said "You've got to tell me your name first."