Chapter XXVIII

Avon woke and found that Rapid had already landed. She wondered how it hadn't woken her up. They were in a tree, perching on a branch that somehow held their collective weight. Rapid's eyes were closed. The dragon had probably slept as soon as she landed. Probably too tired to keep her wings up.
Avon stood up on the saddle and Ginger slipped from her lap ; she had forgotten the dragon was there. Before Ginger could fall, Avon scooped her up and into her arms. The dragon was too young to fly and it would be quite a tumble from this height.
From the tree, Avon could see a village with many cottages. They had thatch roofs and stone brick walls. There were no walls surrounding the village, which allowed Avon to see the large lake with beautiful, glistening waters. A dock surrounded it, holding boats. In the middle, was an island covered in trees and a range of coloured flowers. Avon had never been here before, but she knew where she was. It was exactly how it had been described to her, and not just by Jack, but by her brother in the letters he had given her. She was in Woodlake. Why here of all places? She silently asked herself. Why here?
Avon had no choice. It was logical to stay here. Woodlake was a small town, so it was unlikely guards would find her. There was also a dragon stable here, which was one of the reason her  brother, Bourne, had moved here.
Avon walked into the town with ease : there were no guards to stop her. She took her dragons with her and waked around the village. She had no idea where she had to go. The market was near and she headed there. There were many people and she asked around for a name. She left the dragons a few feet away as to not scare anyone. It took one person to get the location she needed, everyone knew the boy she was looking for.
Avon ran to her dragons, stuffed Ginger in her satchel and took Rapid's reigns. She rushed to where the villager had directed her, fixing some of the wrong turns she made. The house she was looking for came into view. A stable was at the side. Avon was filled with a mix of excitement and dread. What would happen?
She left her dragons behind and knocked on the door. Avon began doubting what she was doing. She was about to turn around and walk away when the door opened. In the doorframe stood a fourteen year old boy. He had short, brown hair and sea blue eyes. His expression morphed from annoyance to shock. Before he could say anything, Avon hugged him. It had been ages since she had hugged her brother.