Chapter XXV

"We're staying here for the night!" Shouted a guard.
It was already nightfall and Avon had been stuck in her prison for nearly five hours. She had given up on crying : there was no use. For a while, she had spectated the others around her. Nothing interesting occurred, but she tried to focus on things other than what had just happened : when she had been crying, guards walked past and laughed.
The Queen walked past. Avon had not seen her for hours, and hoped that she would talk to her. However, the Queen glanced at her and continued on to her tent. Avon was beginning to feel guilty about what she had said, but no Queen could rule expecting her husband to love her.
Her guards left for their beds, thinking that she couldn't escape, which was true. A while ago, they had taken all of her belongings. She kept her dress, but nothing else. They took her weapons, her satchel and the jewellery Jackson had bought her.
It was a long time before anything happened. There was silence. Avon lay on the floor and stared at the ceiling. She then laid on her side and pulled her knees to her chest to conserve heat. The cold of the night was beginning to get to her.
As Avon lay there, she heard voices coming from the tents. She opened her eyes, which she had closed only a few seconds before. Two figures walked into her view. They were talking and giggling.
The more masculine figure pushed the other against a tree. "Nicholas." A female voice said, embarrassed.
Avon wasn't surprised that Nicholas was romancing someone, she was just curious about who this woman was. The voice was one she heard before. This woman was wearing a purple gown. From what she could tell, it was the Queen. Avon gasped. Thankfully, it was near silent.
"Nicholas, what if people see?"
Nicholas looked around. Avon went limp, as if she was asleep.
"No one's here to see."
He kissed her neck and Ash smiled, giggling. Her face turned pink. He slowly moved up to her lips. She hooked her arms around Nicholas' shoulders and he leaned back, Ash's feet lifting off the ground.
Avon was astonished. The Queen was having an affair. There were many rumours, but Avon didn't believe them until now. The Queen had only been married for a few months, how was she already so unfaithful?
Hypocrite, Avon thought. The Queen has complained that her husband was disloyal, then was disloyal herself.