Chapter 38

I nipped at Adrian's throat when I got on top of him after our mock fight. I growled and narrowed my eyes at the stunned king, waiting for him to do what I had told him to do. 'Submit,' I said, my voice sounding different because both my tiger and I were in control.

It had been a couple of hours after they had arrived, and I had been training with the two cats, trying to see if I could cease full control over my body and let both of us share in preparations to face my uncle. And, I did, and it had taken me a shorter time to cease control than it had even with fighting my mate.

Time was running out; I could feel it. I knew that I would have to face him soon, even though I had no idea when nor where. But that didn't stop the world from turning nor the second to tick down.

Something was changing in the air around us, and I could tell that the cats gathered could feel it. They were getting restless, excited, and nervous about what was to come, and so was I.

'Nice job,' Adrian praised, breaking me from my thoughts. He submitted, and a swell of pride filled my body while I stared at the male at my feet. 'Can you let me up now?' he asked and raised an eyebrow.

"I wouldn't ask that," Brody said. "She'd sit o-" His eyes grew wide when I released the male and got off of him. "What?" he asked and stared at me with narrowed eyes. "Why did you let him up? He asked you to get off of him."

'I know,' I replied while I sauntered over to my mate with Tigress, letting me gain control over my whole self again. 'That's why I let him up.' I sat down in front of my mate and cocked my head while staring at him with innocent eyes. 'Are you mad?'

Brody's gaze softened, and he shook his head. "I could never be mad at you," he said. He reached out and scratched me behind my ear, and I closed my eyes and purred, enjoying being petted.

I nudged my head against his and purred some more, loving the feeling of being near my mate and loved. I flicked my tail and purred some more while he stroked his hand through my fur.

"I am sorry to interrupt this beautiful session, but I think that we need to discuss stuff inside," Aunt Arie said, and my mate and I looked at her. She smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes like I thought it would, and knew that it was something bad. "I have a feeling that you have felt the change?" She raised an eyebrow, and I nodded in confirmation.

Brody furrowed his brows and cocked his head. "What change?" he asked. He looked between Aunt Arie and me and frowned. He didn't like not knowing what was going on, and I understood because I didn't either.

"We'll tell you indoors, Your Majesty," Adrian said after he shifted into his human form. His face was grave, and I could tell that he was worried. "It's not safe out here to talk about it."

"Why not?" Brody asked. He looked at Carver. "Do you know what is going on?"

Carver nodded. "I do," he confirmed. "I think all cats can feel the change in the air. I do not know about halfbreeds. We'll need to ask Trevor." He looked at me, and I nodded.

'Trevor, can you report to the office?' I asked and shifted into my human form. "I told him to meet us at the office," I said. "He'll be there."

'Yes, Your Majesty,' he said, and I mentally rolled my eyes and scowled. He became smug when I scowled. 'You're going to have to get used to being called that,' he teased, and my scowl deepened.

'Shut up,' I said, and he chuckled before he ceased talking to me. "He's on his way, so let's go meet him."

They nodded their heads, and Carver gestured for me to lead the way.

I nodded and started to walk in that direction, taking Brody's hand in mine. My heart pounded hard in my chest, and I became anxious. I had no idea what would happen and prayed that nothing bad would happen, at least while we were still unprepared.

***

"So," Brody said while we were seated in the office. He folded his leg across his other one and stared at us with a raised eyebrow. "What is the change that you are talking about?"

We looked at each other and then at my mate. Our bodies were tense, and anxiety filled our system because the smell of change was becoming thicker and thicker with each passing second.

"I don't know," I said, and all gazes were on me. "However, all of us can feel it." I looked at Trevor with a raised eyebrow, and he nodded his head in confirmation, indicating that he felt it, too. I looked at my mate. "It feels as if someone had done something that they weren't supposed to do."

"I think you need to call Dominic," Aunt Arie said. She shifted in her seat, and a pained look appeared on her face. "I want to see if he had anything to do with the shift."

"And if not?" I asked, and she shrugged. "He'll use that against me."

"Let him," Adrian said, and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. His features were relaxed, but it did nothing to hide the anxiety that he felt. "We all know that he wants the throne to himself. Like you said, he will be a tyrant if he gains control over the clans. He will destroy what your father had set up."

"And that includes the treaty with the other species," Aunt Arie said, and Adrian nodded in agreement. "He will start another great war after this one has ended."

I pursed my lips and nodded in understanding. "Should I call the other kings and queens or just him?" I asked.

"Call Ronan," Adrian suggested. "After you call him. Say that you are calling to check in on things around the clans and make sure that nothing is wrong."

Aunt Arie nodded as if she agreed with what Adrian had said. "You can say that you have called us two, as well," she said, gesturing between the two of them. "That way, you can say that you have called a couple of clans to see what is going on."

"So just a few?" I asked, and they nodded in confirmation. I nodded and bit my lip while I thought about the plan and weighing my options. "And what do I say if he wants to know what we have talked about?" I asked.

"Tell him that it is none of his damn business," Adrian replied. He rolled his eyes and scowled before he pursed his lips. "Because it is none of his damn business."

Brody bit back an amused snort and raised his eyebrow when Adrian looked at him. "Do you not like him?" he asked while he cocked his head and studied him.

Adrian pursed his lips further and shook his head, no. "I do not," he confirmed. He cleared his throat and placed his leg over his other. He glanced at Aunt Arie, and she subtly shook her head, no, telling him not to do something.

"What is it?" I asked, looking at Adrian. "What is it that you two are discussing in front of me?" I didn't use the power that I had over him, letting him choose to tell me or not. I had a feeling that it was something that they all knew and wanted to keep me in the dark.

My whole was tense, and I couldn't help but silently wonder what else was happening with the clans now that I had shown myself to them and told them that I would be letting them choose if they wanted to follow me or not.

Did they not want me to lead? Was I going to be that bad of a queen?

Aunt Arie sighed and shook her head. She pursed her lips and moved a hand through her hair, and I could tell that she was debating on whether or not to tell me. "He's been going behind your back," she said, finally while she looked at me. Her face was grave, and her eyes were filled with worry when I leaned back in my seat. "He has been trying to gain supporters to become the next high king. That is the main reason why we wanted you to battle us like that because I fear he will be the one that will try to take your position away when you are done gaining the clans back from your uncle."