Chapter 22

Carver walked in after Isabel walked out, going to collect Brody and some food for me. He looked old and grayer than he had been, many wrinkles having seemed to appear overnight. He had dark circles underneath his eyes, and I could tell that he had been having trouble sleeping.

"You look like crap," I said, and Carver smiled. "You need to sleep."

Carver sighed and walked over to a chair beside the bed and sat down. He moved a hand over his face, trying to keep himself awake. "You have been out for two days, Kat," he said tiredly. "And before that, you were pushed away from the pack by Katie and Caspian. I know that I need to sleep, but I need to make sure that you are fine first."

"And, I am," I insisted. "Whatever I am going through can wait until you get a good night's sleep."

"Kat," he warned, giving me a pointed look. "Talk."

I scowled and looked at my hands before sighing and nodding my head. "I am mad at Caspian," I said, moving a hand through my hair. "He had no right to say anything to Katie." I paused and looked at him. "Has he been back yet, now that he knows where I am at?"

Carver shook his head. "I had called his father and told him that he shouldn't come until after you talk to him. I have his personal cell phone number if you want that. I can get it for you."

I frowned and narrowed my eyes. "Wouldn't it have been safer if he changed it, though? Romanov..."

"Doesn't know about it. Your father and I made sure about that."

I hesitated and nodded my head. "Did you keep in touch with him while we were in..."

Carver nodded his head, knowing exactly what I was talking about. "Yes," he replied. "Caspian never knew that I was still in contact with his father, and I made sure that they didn't know either."

I nodded my head and sighed. "Do you think it'd be safe for me to contact him? I still need to see if the bonds are strong and everything." I furrowed my brows and moved a hand across my face. All I wanted to do was sleep, but I knew that wasn't possible. I had to do stuff because I knew that I was running out of time.

"You need to sleep first," Carver scowled. He held his hand, stopping me from talking. "Whatever is the matter can wait until tomorrow. Ro and Ray will be back tomorrow. They have it and some information that you should hear."

I frowned but eventually gave in and nodded my head. "Fine," I said. I looked at the door when it opened to see Brody, Trevor, and Katie there. I offered them a tired smile, trying to calm the fears that they were feeling.

Brody and Trevor instantly went to my side, leaving Katie standing at the door. Brody moved me gently until he was a bit underneath me and pulled me to his chest, claiming me as his.

Trevor went next to Carver and sat down at the edge of the bed. He looked at me and moved from his spot, knowing exactly what I wanted to do.

"Come here," I said gently to Katie, and Katie's bottom lip quivered. "It's ok; I don't blame you."

Tears fell out of Katie's eyes, and she rushed towards me. She laid on top of me and sobbed, clutching my shirt with her hands. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I am so, so sorry. Please forgive me," she whispered.

"I do," I whispered. I pulled her into a hug and caressed her head, trying to get her to calm down. "I forgive you. There is nothing to forgive."

Katie stopped crying eventually and lifted her head until she was staring at me. Her eyes were red, and I could still see some tears in her eyes. "But the Prince..."

"Is a dumbbutt, and I'm going to talk with him," I said. I placed my hands on her cheek and gently wiped away the remainder of the tears. "Whatever he said is not true. Ok? I will not forget about you."

"You forgot about him and left him, though," Katie said. She wiped her eyes.

"Not by choice," I said. "I forgot about Trevor and Carver and my duties to my people. That wasn't my choice, but it was something that had to happen."

"Why?" Katie asked.

"Because," Carver said, and we looked at him. He offered me a small smile, and I knew that he apologized for what he had to do in my disappearance. "If we didn't have her forget, then there would have been a chance she could have been killed. She is our only hope for a better future and is the reason why the Wolves and Cats have been communicating well. If she dies, then..." He shrugged and grimaced. "All is lost, and we all die."