Chapter 49

Carver cleared his throat and shifted in his seat. Worry filled his eyes while he studied me, his gaze piercing against my skin. He didn't say a word while I calmed myself down, waiting with a patience that could only come from him.

I took a deep, shuddering breath and cleared my throat while I turned around and faced my advisor. "What do you suggest?" I asked, relaxing against my mate while he continued to rub my skin, leaving a trail of sparks in its wake.

"Contact them," he replied, and I opened my mouth to retort but closed it when he raised his hand. "Now, now," he scowled, and I pressed my lips into a thin line. "Do not be like that, Kathrine Evelyn. You do not need to try and make a retort about what I had to say."

I huffed and dipped my head in apology. "Of course," I said, letting him hear the dissatisfaction in my voice because I wasn't able to retort. "My apologies."

Carver bit back a snort and cleared his throat. He knew that I wasn't sorry for wanting to retort and knew that I wanted to do it, but he chose not to comment.

Instead, he cleared his throat and shifted in his seat again while he set his hands in his lap. "Invite them here," he said. He looked at Brody. "If that is ok with you, of course."

Brody waved his hand, brushing off his concern. "It's fine," he said. "They are able to come here. I will have to learn about the alliances that you all have with the other species."

He wanted to be brave and make it seem that he wasn't nervous or afraid, but I could tell that he was. He was very nervous and a little afraid of what was to come.

Like the rivalry between the Cat and Wolves species, there was a huge rivalry between Vampires and Wolves. They were sworn enemies, taught at a young age to never cross paths with each other.

And now, I wanted to bring a Vampire, not just any Vampire but the Royal Vampires, onto pack lands so that I could make sure that the treaty between us still stood and make some changes if needed.

I looked at my mate and studied him, letting him know that I knew he was nervous and didn't have to hide his feelings from us.

"I can ask the pack to see if they are all right with them coming over," I said. "If not, then Carver and I can go to the safe place for a day or so while we get everything situated."

"No," Brody said instantly, and I raised an eyebrow in question. He scowled and narrowed his eyes. "Yes, we can ask the pack, but you are not leaving the pack with Carver."

"If the pack isn't fine with them coming, then I have to go somewhere else. Unfortunately, I am not able to have a meeting at one of the other kingdoms until Romanov is taken care of."

"Then I'll go with you," Brody said, "and Carver. Dad will be able to take care of the pack while we are gone."

I nodded and pressed my lips into a thin line. I knew that he would be worried about his pack while we were gone, and I would be worried too, but I had to do this. I had to set things right with the other species.

"My suggestion is for you to call a meeting with the pack first and see how they would react to it," Carver said, and we looked at him. He studied us and cleared his throat. "If they feel uncomfortable with the other species coming, then we shall go from there."

I nodded, deciding that was the best option. "Then I guess we call for a meeting with the pack now and then send word to the species that I request a meeting with them soon."

"When?" my mare asked.

"In three days," I said. "We will have a meeting in three days' time."

My mate nodded. "Then let's call a pack meeting and see what they want to do."