Chapter 8.4

RAË

A bonfire sprang out of the night. Stars winked at us from the night sky.

Neel and I were sitting close, he whispered into my ear, "So, are we ...?"

"Yes," I said.

"At 4:30?"

"Am not pm."

"Does it have to be that early?"

"The only way."

I caught Ms. Das observing us with a keen eye. She was one of the camp chaperones, otherwise known as the Lip-Reader. Besides being a prude, she was also a rabid vegan. When she spoke her face curled in a paralytic snarl and her hands chopped the air when handing out instructions. She loved to chaperone at all marquee events not only because she was perpetually available but also because the reward-center in her brain lit up every time she caught a student red-handed. She had a 100% success rate in catching students. It gave her purpose and validated her existence.

Last year, Lip-Reader lobbied hard for the expulsion of two seniors a month before graduation. Their crime: repeatedly calling PETA and requesting a shank of exotic meat. Every day, the cut or the animal changed, what didn't change were their faux French accents. Lip-Reader created such a ruckus, Principal Cheyo had to intervene to contain her fervour.

She was definitely lip-reading our conversation. Maybe she was out to implicate us.

I spoke again, enunciating every word.

"I'll meet you at quarter:30 on the right oblique ...."

"You speaking in tongue again?" said Neel, raising an eyebrow at me.

That shut me up. Neel could possibly use 'speaking tongue' as an excuse not to show up in the morning.