Chapter 14

RAË

Exam week flew by. The only exam I had left was Chemistry. We gathered outside the examination halls, most still nervously cramming in the last bits of information. I looked at my core group, Yinka, Ezra and Hiranur were standing calmly by the entrance. Chin-Hae was sunning himself on a ledge and Æsh was sitting on his haunches, playing with a stray.

The doors opened. The invigilators led us in. We took our seats and the examination began.

By late afternoon I was done.

And since it was my birthday, my friends and I celebrated by cutting cake. It was a small and intimate do with my gang, just how I liked it.

The end of term party was the same evening. It was called the 'No Artificial Light Fete', it took place early December to mark the end of exam week. The celebration was held inside large mirrored tents and the only source of light were candles. Yellow flames danced upon the mirror's floral designs, matching the effervescence of all those present. Excitement filled the air with students talking over each other, discussing travel destinations of their Christmas sojourns.

I was finishing dessert when I saw Syrah sidle her way to Æsh just when he sat down with his dinner tray. She leaned in and whispered, her foot rubbing the length of his calf. Flames casting soft shadows on their face, Syrah's eyes had a shine and a glint.

"Come around the back with me," someone whispered in my ear. I turned, it was Neel.

I left my dessert and followed him out. The campus was eerily dark - all lights were off, including the top flood-lights that usually lit the pathways. The moon was barely a sickle, we strolled through unfamiliar shadows. Neel led me beyond the courts, beyond the eyes of chaperones.

"Where are we going? It's so dark, I can barely see anything," I said.

"That's the point ... barely see and barely be seen."

He led me to a bush, then reached behind and took out two glasses, pre-prepared with a wedge of orange and ice cubes.

Handing me my glass he said, "Happy birthday Bae! The only person I love to hate. You made it to 18!"

"Another celebration?" I smiled.

"The one that really counts," he said.

We simultaneously moved forward and touched our foreheads like two rams in greeting.

"Thank-you." I was touched. I didn't think he had something extra planned for me tonight.

Neel leaned behind the bush and fished out a bottle. He poured in a clear liquid onto the ice cubes.

"Sniff before you sip."

I took a sniff. "What is it?"

"Try it."

"Mmm mmm," I closed my eyes. "It's so smooth and ... smoky. "What is it?" I swirled the liquid took another sip. "I think I've found my drink."

"I knew you'd like it," he said beaming. "This is Mezcal Reposado, made of pure agave. Only the reposado has chinicuil in them ...."

"The what?"

"The worm," he said, shaking the bottle. "The chinicuil."

I strained to look and saw wiry legs attached to a brown one-inch maggot resting at the bottom of the bottle.

"That's the worm?"

"That's the worm."

"And it still tastes so good?"