Chapter 13: Making of Stars

The field was alive with students and faculty alike. Cheerleaders with pom-poms, mascots with balloons, students milling about in burning excitement. The inter-school soccer playoffs were about to begin.

Chin-Hae won the toss. A whistle was blown, the din of the spectators lowered and the game started off.

Norm kicked the ball to Chin-Hae who masterfully took control. He gathered himself and submitted to the flow. He moved across the field in calm confidence, so perfectly aligned, it looked as though the ball was intuiting his next move.

Bose and Principal Cheyo sat on the terrace wings, watching. Ezra and Hiranur were sitting with a collection of friends eating popcorn and ice-cream. Raë and Yinka were standing by the side lines, attentively following the interchange.

The ball was passed to Æsh, he maneuvered it through a tangle of defenders, then cut a high lob to Chin-Hae, who struck his first goal.

Students rose in jubilation. Cheerleaders broke into a dance. Bose and Principal Cheyo clapped in unison.

"I can sense the making of stars," said Principal Cheyo. "They've aced their mid-terms and their grade point averages have considerably spiked. Such vast developments just in a matter of months. I have no doubt they will excel in their exams."

"A trained mind is physically different from an untrained mind," said Bose. "When activated, the left and right hemispheres of the brain start communicating with each other more fluidly. The brain has the capacity to change with learning, and create new neural pathways. The brain has the capacity to increase its grey matter. Neuro-plasticity is taking place. The process has begun."

"I didn't expect to see the effects of the teachings this soon."

"The switch has flipped," said Bose. "They are operating in the gamma state, associated with high levels of cognitive functioning and peak concentration. Gamma waves help link information from all parts of the brain, catapulting the subject to ingenious heights. The veil is starting to lift. They are beginning to tap into their power."

"Do they know what lies ahead?"

"They will be as surprised as the rest."

"I only wish more students had signed up for your program."

"I'm glad it's contained to six. They came because they were ready. Teachings like this can attract all types, including the low-frequency stabilizers who break out onto the dark side. It's easier to keep track with a smaller faction."

"Do you need to worry about this lot?"

Cheers got louder as Æsh dribbled forward, he scooped the ball to Chin-Hae, who head-butted the next goal.

A wave of euphoria rose from the field, both Bose and Principal Cheyo stood up, joining the ovation.

"We can never be too certain," said Bose over the pandemonium. "It's happened to the best of us. History is riddled with great women and men who've found the source of their power from the opposite side of the spectrum."

"Desire for anything only increases with restriction," affirmed Principal Cheyo.

"It's a human glitch."

"How will we know?"

"We will know once the breakthrough happens. Then and only then will we know which side of the spectrum they are accessing."

"When will we see a breakthrough?"

"They are a determined lot. I've rarely seen this kind of perseverance. By next semester they will have tapped into their latent powers."

"Expecting too much too soon?"

"It has become a compulsion for them. Hours of daily practice add up. We will see a flicker in a matter of weeks."

"In a couple of weeks?"

"It will be magic," said Bose smiling. "And I'll be there to hold their hands as they cross over to the supra state. The first batch is always special. But we have to keep a close watch. Sometimes those who turn are the ones you least expect."