Chapter 16.3: Bali: Æsh

"I don't approve of any of this," said grandma as I entered the house one evening.

"Of what?"

"Of the kung-fu ... or whatever it is. Violence is not the way. You know very well what trouble that's got you into."

"Martial arts teaches control. That's why I want to learn it!"

"Æsh, I had to inform your father. Neither of us are pleased."

"Dad has no right micro-managing my life sitting in St. Petersburg."

"Have you forgotten why he's there?"

I held my breath inside my chest.

"He's stuck trying to erase your criminal record. You are aware that no school was taking you in. Don't you? Not one. Thank-god for Principal Cheyo, the man obviously believes in giving second chances. You need ... we ... we need that record erased otherwise it will handicap you for the rest of your life. After all this effort of finding a school and getting you to a safe place you start indulging in the very thing that might jeopardize your future."

"Why don't you understand, this is the very discipline I need."

"You can ask your father yourself ... tomorrow is Christmas, he will be calling."

As I was leaving the room, I heard her say, "Æsh, I know you have gone through a lot. Losing a mother is not easy, especially at such a young age. But don't forget your father has lost a life partner as well. He loves you very much ... we all do. You know he's doing this for your own good."

Guilt rose in me like a sloppy wave. My footsteps heavy as I walked to my room and shut the door behind me.