Chapter 8

I looked up at Henry to see shock and fear in his eyes. I'm sure I had the same look in my eyes. Everything Catori just told us was confusing and terrifying.

"Alva, does Catori know what any of that means? What is the black water? What is the key that Emily needs to find? How will we know what to do if none of that makes any sense?" Henry asked.

"I'm sorry Prince Henry. It's not up to the Oracle to interpret the visions. That's on the both of you to figure out. And it's very important that you do or else something evil will befall these lands."

So no pressure then? I crossed my arms and turned to face away from Alva and Catori. I was angry and scared and I didn't want to take it out on them. I've lived a pretty insignificant existence up until this point and now I'm being told I need to help save the entire kingdom. Who am I? Why me?

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I knew it was Henry.

"We'll figure this out together Em. Maybe it's not as dire as it sounds," he said.

"We must leave. Catori needs to get back to her meditations," Alva said as she walked past us towards the back of the room. We followed after her. When we were back outside, I felt like I had just woken from a dream. But no such luck. It did happen.

We walked in silence back to the village center. Alva led us to an area off to the side where she had a table set up with various plants. She started gathering things and placing them in a large piece of cloth that she then folded up into a knapsack.

"Here are some of the more rarer plants that you can take back with you. I have a feeling you will need them more than I will. Let me get some food for you to take with you, too," Alva said.

"Wait Alva! We were planning on sticking around for a little while to visit with you," I said as she handed me the bundle.

"There's no time for that. Look at the sky. There is a storm coming. I can feel it," she said as she grabbed more food to give us.

I looked up and it had become more cloudy but it didn't necessarily look like rain. But I had learned a long time ago not to argue with Alva. She was always right when it came to nature.

Henry grabbed the bundles from my arms and started walking back towards our horses. I noticed he was wearing a look on his face I had never seen. He was lost in thought. This day had turn into such a strange experience. I couldn't really blame him for thinking hard about everything.

We mounted our horses and waved goodbye. I led us back the way we came deep into the woods. After riding in silence for a bit, Henry spoke up.

"We need to figure out what Catori's visions mean."

"I'm surprised you believe her," I responded.

"I'm surprised too. But something inside of me is telling me it's all true. I'm not going to lie. What she said scared me. I'm a soldier. I'm trained to fight. But how can we fight this if we don't even know what it is?"

I didn't know how to respond. In all the years I have been visiting the Arbors, I've never even seen the Oracle. I was as clueless about this whole situation as Henry.

"I don't think we should think of the Oracle's visions literally. I doubt I'm going to find an actual key while walking in the woods. And I don't think said key will open a box that brings color back into the world," I said after some thought.

"So what does the key represent? I just wish she would have given us a little more information," Henry added.

While we were talking, the sky had darkened considerably. Thunder could be heard in the distance and the wind had picked up. I guess Alva was right about the weather.

"We should find shelter before this storm arrives. I think I saw a cave back that way," Henry said as he turned his horse around to head back in the direction we just came from.

I turned my horse around to follow him. The storm was getting closer and closer and it started to rain. Thankfully, Henry found the cave before things got worse. We jumped down and quickly tied up the horses before running into the small cave that was carved into the side of a cliff.

We both had to crouch down to fit through the entrance. As soon as we were safely under cover, the sky opened up and the deluge fell. To avoid standing hunched over, we both sat down on the cool ground.

"Is it me or has this been the oddest day," Henry said while watching the rain pour down.

I chuckled at how true his statement was.

"My whole life has been odd since you showed up."

"Now that's something I don't think anyone has ever said to me."

"Let me guess....you're used to people falling all over you with praise and adoration," I teased.

He turned and gave me one of his heart melting smirks.

"I guess you could say that. But not you Little One. You are real with me. I can't tell you how much I enjoy that."

"I've been meaning to ask you about that. Why did you lie about our encounter in the woods? I should have gotten in a lot of trouble for that but you covered for me. Why?"

He looked down at his hands before answering my question.

"I admire you. You weren't scared of me that day in the woods. I've never met anyone like you before. You don't care what people think about you. Besides, you didn't know who I was when you threatened me," he chuckled at the last part.

I felt myself blush at his words. No one had ever told me they admired me before. And it meant so much coming from him.

"So tell me about yourself Emily?"

"Well....there's not much to tell. I spend almost all of my time in my surgery seeing patients and making medicines. You've met my family. There's really nothing else."

He stared at me for a few moments like he was debating on whether to say what he wanted to say.

"Emily, where are your parents?"

I knew that's where this conversation was going.

"My mother died giving birth to me so I never got to meet her. And my father...no one knows who he is. My mother never said," I answered honestly. There was no point in keeping the fact that I was a bastard and an orphan a secret.

I looked up to see there was no judgement on his face. Usually people looked down on me when they found out about my situation.

"I'm so sorry to here that," he said while grabbing my hand to comfort me. Again, I felt butterflies at the physical contact. I suddenly became more aware of the fact that we were alone in a cave in the middle of the woods.

We sat there like that for a little while. Him holding my hand while we just stared at each other trying to figure out what the other was thinking.

"You're very beautiful Emily," Henry said softly. With his hand that wasn't holding my hand, he reached up and pushed a piece of my hair that had slipped out of my braid behind my ear. It was such an intimate action that it took my breath away. He kept his hand on my cheek and glanced down at my mouth. I knew what was coming next. We both leaned in and his mouth found mine.