Alright, Buzz Off

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong?"

"It's Kukaku."

He sets his mouth into a thin line. It was only last night Rukia said this might happen. Who knew the day would come so soon?

Ichigo runs his hand through his bed head, followed by a sigh. She nods in understanding. No words needed to be said for her to know what he wanted to do next. She simply turns and leaves. That's her usual sign that he should get into better clothes, anyway.

Before he gets out of bed, he grabs his phone again. 59%. The damn thing is dying without him using it. He's going to have to ask how Rukia charges her soul pager. Ichigo clicks a number on his speed dial, and awaits for someone to answer. After a quick conversation with the other end, Ichigo gets up for his meeting.

He dresses into jeans and a t-shirt, pulling on his tennis shoes. He doesn't bother to grab a jacket, but he does pocket his phone before heading out and stashes his mother's cross in his bag. They're waiting patiently for him in the hallway with Inoue.

"Are you ready?" Rukia asks, her voice kind.

"Yeah, let's go."

They wave Inoue goodbye, and head out. At first, they simply use shunpo to get there, but once they enter the First Division compound, the normal Shinigami slow down abruptly. Ichigo almost face plants he stops so fast.

"Why'd we stop?" Ichigo asks.

"We're not in a rush," Ukitake shrugs.

He frowns in slight confusion. Why use shunpo in the first place then? They walk casually through the compound, and Ichigo looks around. It's as clean and stark as the rest of the Seireitei.

There's the occasional Shinigami bustling around, some carrying a mountain load of paper work. Ichigo grins in humor at the thought of Rangiku's reaction. The mean part of him hopes that's all for her to get done. He bites the inside of his cheek to stifle the laugh.

Rukia walks beside him, looking her part of a noble. Her head is held high, and her hand is resting comfortably on her zanpakuto hilt. Her big, girlish eyes narrow into a calculating look, and the look is definitely bad ass. To mess with her, he gives her a nudge. She stumbles a little in surprise, directing her big eyes to him.

"What?" She asks.

"You looked tense," he teases.

"Did not," she huffs.

"Did, too. Aren't I supposed to be the tense one? Kukaku is scary as hell."

Rukia snorts. "You're not wrong."

They walk in a short silence, alarmingly aware of Byakuya and Ukitake watching them interact. The burning of the Head Noble's eyes irks Ichigo.

"How much does Byakuya and Captain Ukitake know?" He asks, hands stuffed in his pockets.

Rukia bites her lip in thought. "They know you're connected and important to Kukaku. That's about it. Oh, and nii-sama knows who your dad is, too."

"Right."

"Although I did know the Head of the Shiba Clan would show up," she starts, catching Ichigo's attention, "I do not know what she's going to do. She's kinda unpredictable at times like these."

"I don't know what's she's going to do, either. I hope she doesn't make it a big deal," Ichigo mumbles.

"Kukaku isn't like that. I think she'll keep it to herself if you ask her."

"She's unpredictable, remember?"

"And loyal. You'd know all about that, wouldn't you, knight in shining armor?" She teases, slugging him in the arm.