Even Roses Wilt, But That Doesn't Always Mean They Die (Finale) + Author's Notes

Steven awoke on a grey beach to a green Gem with one massive eye looking down at him, "Huh. Didn't expect you of all people."

"What?" Steven asked.

"You gotta get back home!" The Gem exclaimed helping Steven up.

"Home?" Steven asked, "Ow... my head. How did I get here?"

"What's the last thing you remember?" The Gem inquired, brushing back her long white bush of hair out of her eye.

"I... recall mom... my family... I don't... I don't know how I got here. I was stepping on a warp to go somewhere but I don't remember where."

"Ah," The Gem replied, "Well, what's your name again?"

"Steven Beta Universe," Steven replied.

"I'm..." the Gem thought for a moment, "Centipeedle as you would know me, but call me Centi for short. Listen we need to go. Come on."

"Wait," Steven replied as he lifted his shirt, "My Gem. My Gem!"

Steven looked down to see his stomach totally flat. No Gem. No bellybutton. Nothing but skin all the way across.

"Oh..." Centi replied, "That's... not... great. Um... Yeah we really need to go right now then I didn't know it was that dire."

"What are you even talking about?" Steven demanded.

"You gotta get home," Centi explained, "Don't you remember?"

"Oh yeah mom's coming home!" Steven exclaimed, "Shoot! Yeah let's go! Sorry I just feel... weirdly out of it. Like I've just woken up and I'm still half in a dream."

"Oh don't worry it'll pass," Centi smiled, "So Steven, how's Jasper?"

"Oh she's swell!" Steven exclaimed, "She's just in the Garden. She loves her butterflies. She..."

An image flashed of Jasper's corrupted form, just for a moment as Steven groaned  "Ugh. Darn it what am I forgetting? It's there I see it but I can't... hold it..."

"Let's just get you home for now," Centi explained.

The duo continued as Centi told her story, "Anyways as for me if you wanna hear..."

"By all means," Steven smiled.

"I was a commander back in the war. Then I got corrupted and... it ended badly for me to say the least. Had a run in with some Gems. That's how I wound up here."

"I recall a Gem... white... and tall... glowing," Steven explained, "But evil. Her mind twisted by narcaccistic thoughts and her heart full of malice. What was her name? She... She sent me here. Right?"

"In a manner or speaking," Centi replied as the duo crested a dune or Grey Sand to see a golden staircase going up into the clouds where a Pink Gem sat in the sand beside them, "Well that's a way to a home if you want!"

"Where do these stairs lead?" Steven asked.

"Oh that's my stop but I wouldn't recommend going quite yet," Centi replied.

The Pink Gem looked up to see Steven and yelled, "Son! Oh my God!"

The Pink Gem rushed over and tried to hug Steven who glared and summoned a bubble, "It's you..."

"So you recognize me?" She asked.

"How could I not?" Steven hissed, "Pink... Diamond... wait... wait! Wait! You're... dead so that means... wait! I remember! Centi! Am I dead!?!"

Centi sighed, "Um... yeah. You... ate it buddy. You're... You're toast. I'm sorry."

"I've wanted to meet you for so long," Pink Diamond explained, "But... not like this. I'm sorry..."